What do you feed your fish?

Reaction score
Just wondering what different kinds of food do you feed your fishies? Mine get peas and goldfish flakes, cheerios they dont care for watermelon or oranges but maybe thats just koi that eat fruit. I splurged and bought granules @ $10.00 for 3 oz.

Attachments

• DSCN0589.jpg
    DSCN0589.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 339

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Try some freeze dried krill, if you happen to get the larger ones you may have to crumble them up a little, my goldies love and supposedly it brightens the reds and oranges. I'm a faithful user of Aquadine and Hikari. But I use Blueridge gold formula for my bulk food for the Koi. My koi love cherrios, white rice, baby english peas,and oranges, limes and lemons but you have to feed them the pulp only. It's kind of messy but once they get used to it they love it.

Reaction score
Rice really? I will have to try that. Where do you get krill from? I just have goldfish no koi ):

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Steamed rice is good but don't over feed, the Krill should be available where you got your fish food from. I think that same company sells it too. I get mine at petsmart. Goldfish like frozen food too, Frozen Brine shrimp, blood worms, glass worms and krill are all good treat foods for variaty.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i have never fed my fish rice. but i'm told too much white rice can give fish a type of "fish diabetes" due to its very high glycemic index....i'm not absoluely positive of this but would look into itr if i was to start feeding them it. thats white rice only if i remember correctly.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Thanks for the info! I started feeding them a very little after Dr.Dave said he fed it. I will look into it further.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I put about a golf ball size in when I feed them steamed rice. It sinks and if you give too much it stays on the bottom. My wife sometimes gets carried away and I have to net out the excess.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've been feeding maybe half that amount and once every couple of weeks if that, never have any left over on the bottom. Sometimes I wonder just how much food it would take for my pigs to leave food behind! LOL Not going to try though!!!!!

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
My local pond store feeds his koi pasta and his fish are hugh. I am giving that a thought. Right now they get a mix of Hikari, a fruit koi treat made by Imperial Garden Products, It is made with strawberry, orange and blueberry. It smells like a kiddie breakfast cereal and gives me flashbacks to my youth eating Frankin Berry.:regular_waving_emot I also feed koi sticks.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I just gave mine Cheerios for the first time. The koi ate it right up but the goldfish b/c of their size couldn't eat it. It looked like 5 year olds playing soccer, where they were all around the cheerio o moving it across the pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I give mine tetra koi food .I get it from pet mountain before the season starts at 24 dollars for the almost 7 lb bag and I buy them blueberry and orange and strawberry treats from them .But my aggie loves fresh blueberries from my bushes I have and fresh strawberries

Ask a Question