What do you think about this BIO Media

Reaction score
They all work! I have chose the strapping myself for these reasons.
  1. Price - eBay has some great deals, it's all timing.
  2. Surface Area - Strapping is like a coarse fabric. Several small threads woven into the band size of 1/2". It is made of polypropylene like irrigation hose, and bio-balls, just more surface area for the microscopic bacteria to latch onto.
  3. Easy - Just put a broom handle through the spool between a step ladder or 2 chairs and pull hard. Before you know it you will have a pile of it to stuff in a bag or bird netting. No cutting small pieces.

Again, I'm not saying it's better or worse. I have never used any of these before. Just experience with bio-filtration media, it seems to have it overall. Again, all 3 will work just fine, these where just my reasons for using it.

Reaction score
They all work! I have chose the strapping myself for these reasons.
  1. Price - eBay has some great deals, it's all timing.
  2. Surface Area - Strapping is like a coarse fabric. Several small threads woven into the band size of 1/2". It is made of polypropylene like irrigation hose, and bio-balls, just more surface area for the microscopic bacteria to latch onto.
  3. Easy - Just put a broom handle through the spool between a step ladder or 2 chairs and pull hard. Before you know it you will have a pile of it to stuff in a bag or bird netting. No cutting small pieces.

Again, I'm not saying it's better or worse. I have never used any of these before. Just experience with bio-filtration media, it seems to have it overall. Again, all 3 will work just fine, these where just my reasons for using it.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I am a Development Engineer with 45 years of experimenting and innovations. I wanted to prove that any media will work as a bio filter and with the fencing material, I did just that. The fencing material is less than $20.

I think the tubes are superior only because they have more surface area and resistance so none of the solids never make it to the overflow. It has the cleanest output although it is hard to see the difference.

The "Doc Filter" is a work in progress and it continues to be the least expensive one to build. I will stack it against any filter made today for cost, convenience and efficiency.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I am a Development Engineer with 45 years of experimenting and innovations. I wanted to prove that any media will work as a bio filter and with the fencing material, I did just that. The fencing material is less than $20.

I think the tubes are superior only because they have more surface area and resistance so none of the solids never make it to the overflow. It has the cleanest output although it is hard to see the difference.

The "Doc Filter" is a work in progress and it continues to be the least expensive one to build. I will stack it against any filter made today for cost, convenience and efficiency.

Reaction score
Pondmaster said:
Squidhead,

Is most strapping material safe?

If it is polypropylene or polyethelyne, yes. These materials are used to make plastic plumbing pipe and fittings as well as soda bottles and caps, pond / aquarium parts etc. Grant it, it may be dirty from warehouse dust, but so will PVC pipe, irrigation hose and plastic fence. Matala filter mats are polypropylene, just thicker, some furnace filters are also polypro as are the drums used to make these filters.

Reaction score
Pondmaster said:
Squidhead,

If it is polypropylene or polyethelyne, yes. These materials are used to make plastic plumbing pipe and fittings as well as soda bottles and caps, pond / aquarium parts etc. Grant it, it may be dirty from warehouse dust, but so will PVC pipe, irrigation hose and plastic fence. Matala filter mats are polypropylene, just thicker, some furnace filters are also polypro as are the drums used to make these filters.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Pondmaster said:
Squidhead,

No, some of it is steel. Use only the plastic material. In fact the original strapping material was all steel. plastic is recent in the last 20 years.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Pondmaster said:
Squidhead,

No, some of it is steel. Use only the plastic material. In fact the original strapping material was all steel. plastic is recent in the last 20 years.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Yes it is.
I recommend cutting them about 1.5" long. make sure you keep them from getting into the sump, They will get into the 2" dump valve unless you have some protection in place to keep them out. That is the ONLY drawback to these. They are by far the best I have used for many reasons.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Yes it is.
I recommend cutting them about 1.5" long. make sure you keep them from getting into the sump, They will get into the 2" dump valve unless you have some protection in place to keep them out. That is the ONLY drawback to these. They are by far the best I have used for many reasons.

Reaction score
I talked hubby into making a 100 gal stock tank filter. Won't post pics since it looks the same as the rest. My hubby is the GM of an electronics distribution company. We got the srapping material for free. They throw the box away when it gets close to the end of the roll. Can't beat that price at all. I also like Koiguys tip for the dollar store for the laundry bags. They work great.

Ask a Question