What do you think about this BIO Media

Reaction score
I talked hubby into making a 100 gal stock tank filter. Won't post pics since it looks the same as the rest. My hubby is the GM of an electronics distribution company. We got the srapping material for free. They throw the box away when it gets close to the end of the roll. Can't beat that price at all. I also like Koiguys tip for the dollar store for the laundry bags. They work great.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mrshkoiluver said:
I talked hubby into making a 100 gal stock tank filter. Won't post pics since it looks the same as the rest. My hubby is the GM of an electronics distribution company. We got the srapping material for free. They throw the box away when it gets close to the end of the roll. Can't beat that price at all. I also like Koiguys tip for the dollar store for the laundry bags. They work great.

lucky you!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mrshkoiluver said:

lucky you!

Reaction score
Just thinking, has anyone considered using a swimming pool sand filter lateral in a Skippy style barrel filter?

The irrigation tubing or 1/2" pvc would be bundled to fill the diameter and stand straight up
thereby eliminating dead spots. the lateral would provide a gentle even upward flow. See the drawing: number 6 is the lateral assembly the 10 tubes that extend out from the hub have hundreds of holes in them for even distribution of water.

Reaction score
Just thinking, has anyone considered using a swimming pool sand filter lateral in a Skippy style barrel filter?

The irrigation tubing or 1/2" pvc would be bundled to fill the diameter and stand straight up
thereby eliminating dead spots. the lateral would provide a gentle even upward flow. See the drawing: number 6 is the lateral assembly the 10 tubes that extend out from the hub have hundreds of holes in them for even distribution of water.

Reaction score
Picture didn't translate. I will try again.

Attachments

• Sand Filter Lateral.jpg
    Sand Filter Lateral.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 198
Reaction score
Yes, this design would require some sort of simple mechanical pre-filter perhaps a very easy to access & clean vertical. The biological portion would never or hardly ever need cleaning.

Reaction score
Yes, this design would require some sort of simple mechanical pre-filter perhaps a very easy to access & clean vertical. The biological portion would never or hardly ever need cleaning.

Ask a Question