What does your pond look like ... Today?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I guess I must have a male and female but funny they both get seeds .I wonder if the yuccas may help with that ,not sure but looked and I have several babies coming up now and threw mulch around them so they stay warm .Once spring gets here I will dig them up and pot them to give them away

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My mom just sent me palm seeds she got from hers but I really doubt a palm can survive a winter like we are having this year....could it live in a pot inside a permanent greenhouse?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My pond is completely ice free and running, all fish seem active going after the algae on the walls
I hope the worst of the winter is behind us.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
For awhile it could live in a green house till it busts outta the pot. Then maybe it would be large enough to put outside and survive w/coverings during really bad cold.

Just found this on the net:

The Windmill Palm (trachycarpus fortunei)

Another popular choice, this palm and its cultivars (several other varieties have been introduced as even hardier) are known to be the hardiest palm trees in the world. Yes, an actual palm tree. Well, that word excited me. If the tree were to be a success in your Zone 5-7 garden it would never fail to impress and provide endless bragging rights for you. When purchased young, they make for attractive tropical-looking shrubs, but if you really wanted to take the plunge and buy a specimen so mature that it has developed a visible trunk, for most climates north of southern New Jersey there will be unfortunate damage to the tree that will be apparent during the summer. A possible exception may be a flawless micro-climate along with protection that would essentially add another zone of warmth and a shield against damaging arctic blast winds. Windmill palms in tree form may be for the intensive palm enthusiast who is willing to invest time and money in the endeavor, but they still have use as great looking under story shrubs for causal gardeners with their gorgeous palm palmate leaves that cannot be replicated with true north hardy plants.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone else posted this:

I grow Trachycarpus fortunei in England, and they are also known to grow in Manhattan, though I'm sure these 2 places are warmer in winter than Iowa.

There is hope for you, as you can protect your palm in winter time, either keeping it potted, and then moving it to a sheltered spot, or inside with good levels of sunlight.

The other option used by many growers of tender plants is to construct a protective enclosure around your palm. This could be made from wooden posts, surrounded with plastic, and then filled with straw/dried leaves. You can also add some garden fleece over your palm, which keeps the temperature below a few degrees warmer, but allows light and moisture to pass through. As your palm matures it will get somewhat hardier, but it is important to protect its growing point, as it grows from this single point - this is where you could pack some more protection. Otherwise, you could add some old carpet etc, on really freezing nights, to give extra protection, or form some type of tent over it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Too much work in my opinion!
So it sounds like there will be so much ugly damage to them by planting them outdoors in a very cold climate that it might not be worth it unless you do a lot of work to protect them.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a newcomer to these forums. First posted https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/looking-for-help-with-filtration.22614/#post-368726 a few weeks back and some kind folk gave me some very useful hints. We have a communal pond which we neglected for a number of years, so I'll post some before and after pictures showing what a few people can do over a few weekends to remove an enormous amount of weed.
upper1.jpg

lower1.jpg

Pretty clear that we needed to do something, right?
A view of some of the pond and the dredged weed on day 1 of the clearance.
Clearance_upper.jpg

Yesterday the pond looked like this:
acrossafter.jpg
with all the dredged weed piled on the shore at the right and covered with plastic to compost.
One final view before I fill the page:
downafter.jpg

(I know the thread says "today" but there is 6 inches of snow today and no sunshine)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks good what you've done so far to clean it up!

And
upload_2018-3-3_12-56-50.gif
@Lakeside Boy that is a big huge Willow tree right in the middle. I know how much of a mess they can create but they are so pretty and love sucking up water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm a newcomer to these forums. First posted https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/looking-for-help-with-filtration.22614/#post-368726 a few weeks back and some kind folk gave me some very useful hints. We have a communal pond which we neglected for a number of years, so I'll post some before and after pictures showing what a few people can do over a few weekends to remove an enormous amount of weed.

Pretty clear that we needed to do something, right?
A view of some of the pond and the dredged weed on day 1 of the clearance.

Yesterday the pond looked like this:
ith all the dredged weed piled on the shore at the right and covered with plastic to compost.
One final view before I fill the page:
downafter.jpg

(I know the thread says "today" but there is 6 inches of snow today and no sunshine)

Jim; sure looks like you folks did a lot of work and a great job! I'd be really curious to see how this summer's growing season hits you. I hope it doesn't grow back that much but I have my doubts. I do think you're probably going to need regular maintenance, but hopefully your people are all onboard and ready. This winter, we finally got enough help (and stable ice for a few weeks) to go cut down our own problematic plants, the cattails. Looks a lot better and like your situation, will be curious to see how much grows back.

When the weather warms and you get more chance to get out and about, please post your progress. As I said, not a pond pic we don't like here!

Michael

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking good! I assume those are statues of herons? Look neat in the water.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just a thin, clear layer of ice on the pond. I could see at least 15 fish alive and well, which is a good sign. Saw a bullfrog a few days ago. Can't wait to get my pump going again so the water starts getting filtered. Could be within the next few weeks if the weather starts cooperating.

Looked back on previous winters. In 2016, I was able to start my pump on March 9th, and last year I started it on the 19th, so it's definitely getting close to that time, which will be great!

Ask a Question