What does your pond look like ... Today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Trying to fix this so I can have a awesome pond. It rained so now it's half full of water again.

Attachments

• 20180220_151659.jpg
    20180220_151659.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 20180220_151651.jpg
    20180220_151651.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 20180220_151702.jpg
    20180220_151702.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 130
  • 20180220_151711.jpg
    20180220_151711.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 20180220_151717.jpg
    20180220_151717.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 143
  • 20180220_151708.jpg
    20180220_151708.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 104

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Those are some bad cracks .Are you going to seal the concrete after .You may have to wait until summer to get it all done because a pond seal needs to cure and with those cracks will need several coats

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Those are some bad cracks .Are you going to seal the concrete after .You may have to wait until summer to get it all done because a pond seal needs to cure and with those cracks will need several coats
I thought of filling the cracks with a hydraulic cement then painting with a sealer of some kind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
maybe price out a liner to future-proof? My dad was a mason and he'd always tell me that concrete will always crack. Sooner or later.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Have to ask what is your water table like and do you get freeze and thaw as that effects concrete .Just like a preformed will shift during freeze and thaw .I know I dealt with that .It would shift up and down and even sideways in heavy rain .This was done to hold the fish until the front porch was finished and I left it in for 3 more years as a holding place for plants and baby fish and it was a big hassle so I decided to take it out
murphy pond pictures 001.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Found a Meadow Vole nest under my mini bridge between my bog and pond today. Nervous about them chewing a hole in my liner, if they haven't already. I removed the nest quickly and two went running under my waterfall.

I'm not surprised. I've seen their tunnels in the snow all winter, and occasionally in the lawn for many years. They've taken up residence in my native garden, as well. They're neat little creatures, almost look like tiny muskrats. Definitely want to keep them away from my pond as much as possible, though. Hoping that no damage is caused.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Our water table is high here. One obstacle I see if I get a liner is how to attach it. Right now the decorative rocks around the edge are mortered onto the pond. The back area that has a waterfall feature is all mortered aswell. How would I attach a liner and have it be aesthetically pleasing? But another thing is cost. My budget for this is not very extensive. Bill Gates I am most defiantly not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Our water table is high here. One obstacle I see if I get a liner is how to attach it. Right now the decorative rocks around the edge are mortered onto the pond. The back area that has a waterfall feature is all mortered aswell. How would I attach a liner and have it be aesthetically pleasing? But another thing is cost. My budget for this is not very extensive. Bill Gates I am most defiantly not.

The liner idea is only if you're seriously going to get into ponding. Not that you can't fix/repair the concrete, but imo, you're only putting a bandaid on the problem. You'll eventually (sooner than you want to) have to do it all again. A liner is made to flex and will give you 20 years at least unless something tears/rips it. And it probably WILL be your largest pond cost.

Re the rocks/border. If you can't separate the deco border from the pond itself, I'd probably just go over the rock border and create a new one. I'd see about berming up the ground around it (if I didn't want it 'elevated' visually, which isn't a bad option as you can then sit on the edge easier and be closer to your fish, etc) and adding landscaping to smooth out the area seamlessly. I sort of did that as I didn't want to haul all my 'diggings' away and instead, incorporated what I dug into a 2/3 perimeter which I landscaped. I like it. And if you have any issue with rainwater washing into the pond, you've now solved it.

Btw, unless the top deco border of rocks is anchored with iron rods etc, a good bit of sledge hammering will probably knock them free. I'd swing to hit from the inside and push out. You'd be surprised how concrete can take a pushing force/pressure but can't handle sheer stress. IF this is mortar, it'll be easy, but I suspect it's really cement, which bonds harder, so be aware.

Btw2; you don't really 'attach' the liner as much as lay it in and allow the extra to flap/flop over, then you lay your perimeter rocks over top. The best way is to have two layers and have the liner end slip under Layer 1, pull up once past, then lay under layer 2. This allows you to fill your pond to about half way up layer 1 and never see the liner.

No doubt there are permanent (or at least long-lasting, pending definition of permanent) concrete solutions but I think a liner is easy (and probably cheaper than professional conc fixes) if not that inexpensive. Again, I think it depends on how much you want to get into ponding. The natural freeze thaw cycles will get to almost anything unless you reinforce with a lot of rebar or mesh.

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just thinking have you called a swimming pool contractor ,it may be expensive as I don't know much about the stuff they spray on pools .All I know is it is called gunite ,they even sell a pool patch kit
$_35.JPG

Ask a Question