What does your pond look like ... Today?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is it possible that the flow slowing down is being caused by the pump overheating because of back pressure from valves redirecting flow? Just a thought. I get those once in a while!
Entirely possible sure

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Pond is now a year old . There's a slight tinge of all green algae to the water but it seems to be clearing .I added horn wart and Val to the pond as submerged plants and I also bought some sphagnum moss for the stagnant bog that is in the pond on the left side of the picture . It just arrived with very little greenery to it we will see if it makes a quick turn around or if I'll be making a phone call to the supplier. The iris are all blooming . Hair algae is present but it seems to be slowing. Hard to say as I only get to see little more then you see here being on the road all the time.

Not sure I thought it was the latter. a scientist or a biologist i am not but i do understand seeing how much waste can build up over time in a filterView attachment 121480
If my pond looks anything like this after one year I will be supremely happy.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Today
20190602_104913.jpg
20190602_104843.jpg
20190602_115828.jpg

Not planted by me, they just showed up in one of the stream ponds
20190602_110056.jpg

20190602_110012.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@GBBUDD My bog type filter has never been cleaned, still running great even after 9 years. I do yank plants. Did, one time, dig down into the gravel to see what it looked like, down to the bottom, nice non stinky non mucky water and gravel.

They can just keep running I think a lot depends on how you draw the pond water into the bog type filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Just attaching a couple pictures of the pond out front. I'll say one thing about the weather in the South. The heat and humidity make things GROW!!!!!!
This is the view from my chair. I'd just finished my morning's work on the pond out back and I was too tired to get up and take a picture from a different angle! :p

Attachments

• IMG_4419.jpeg
    IMG_4419.jpeg
    400.3 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_4420.jpeg
    IMG_4420.jpeg
    370.2 KB · Views: 242
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@GBBUDD My bog type filter has never been cleaned, still running great even after 9 years. I do yank plants. Did, one time, dig down into the gravel to see what it looked like, down to the bottom, nice non stinky non mucky water and gravel.

They can just keep running I think a lot depends on how you draw the pond water into the bog type filter.
you don't have the average bog though Addy yours is if i remember almost 30 feet long 2+ feet deep and 10 feet wide . It looks 4 to 5 times the size i'd imagine of Jb's . Id guess that if one area on yours did start to clog water would take the patch of least resistance and by the time that styarted to clog the other ares may start to clear thanks to the wonders of bacteria and other aquatic bugs

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just attaching a couple pictures of the pond out front. I'll say one thing about the weather in the South. The heat and humidity make things GROW!!!!!!
This is the view from my chair. I'd just finished my morning's work on the pond out back and I was too tired to get up and take a picture from a different angle! :p
how in the world do you keep that lotus from taking over your pond ?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol 27 feet long, 4 ish feet wide, 2.5 or so feet deep. A bit smaller, but yep bigger. I do not draw water from the bottom of the pond, keep debris out of the bog except for tiny stuff. I do keep a sort of cleaned out area the length of the bog for water to flow to the water fall area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
how in the world do you keep that lotus from taking over your pond ?
There are two varieties. The big one that is more centered in the picture is actually in its own little preformed pool. The smaller one is in the main pond, but in a big shallow plastic container. My pond is only going on its third year, so there is time for it to get crazy! In fact, I have a water lily that's trying to jump out of its pot!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Appreciate all the feedback and thoughts. I'm really not entirely sure what I'm going to do just yet. I may dig a portion of pea gravel out and see if anything obvious shows itself, like roots. I've dug down five or six inches already with no thick roots, other than directly under the plants. It's possible that the roots at the bottom are thicker and causing issues. Weather is supposed to be decent tomorrow, so maybe I'll motivate myself to start problem solving. I also need to get in the pond and fertilize the water lilies soon.

Ask a Question