What does your pond look like ... Today?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Bogbean started blooming

IMG_5192 copy.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1 so glad to see fish again in your pond!
Me too, the 1000 gallon pond had 3 left.

The big pond, rough count 35 to 40, I had added around 200 -250 small fish, $600 bucks, poof! They didn't die on their own, never saw a body, just fat snakes.

And frogs back, snake trap is going out tomorrow, as we head up from 49 to 88 overnight. Monday 95 yuck

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Had to save a toad who just couldn't swim to the top? Fell back down to the bottom and fell side ways and just sat like that, a few bubbles came from his nose.

So got the net. He had a wierd breathing pattern but then eventually came more active. Hopped away then. No idea what happened... if he couldn't get out and wore himself out? But there are tons of places to get out. Either way.... happy ending (unless he hopped off and died...).

1000000814.jpg
1000000816.jpg

Reaction score
I've pulled two big dead bloated toads/frogs from the pond this week. I've had mass skimmer or filter basket toad deaths before (usually during mating season where they form floating orgy piles and float into the skimmer) but not sure what got these two.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Turtle looks so small, bullfrog looks so big,yikes!

Turtle is about 1" shell size. The bullfrog is about 5"-6".

I haven't seen the turtle since I took the photos. It could have moved on. Or is hiding in the pond. Or inside a frog's stomach. Hard to say.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've been procrastinating for literally the past decade. :ROFLMAO:

The flagstone to the left of my waterfall has always stuck up a bit and about an inch of liner has been showing all this time. I used sedges to hide it, but today I finally did the work to lower it. It was a messy job, and definitely difficult with my bush right there, but I'm glad I got it done. I wont be putting sedges there again. Bogbean is the plan. It helps make the waterfall more visible from my patio.

IMG_6286 copy.jpg

IMG_6287 copy.jpg

I don't think I have any "before" photos showing the exposed liner, but you can see in this photo from a couple weeks ago, the sedges I had there to hide it.
IMG_4992 copy.jpg

And yes, I said a decade. My pond is officially 10 years old! 🎉

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
A few days ago my 4 year old insisted he saw a tadpole... After a few minutes of looking I saw it. One lonely tadpole. I searched the pond but saw no others or any eggs.

Yesterday I saw a few more and looked again... Boom! Tons in the bog. Last year they laid the eggs out in the pond and I think only 3 survived to tadpoles (that I saw)... Every day more were taken.

This year, in the bog, more will survive. The only fish that swim in there are the minnows and sometimes the smaller goldfish. Kids are excited like last year. I just need to head to my parents and get some tree frogs tadpoles.... I love the sound they make and miss living down there (about 45 minutes south).

1000000870.jpg

Ask a Question