What else can I put in my pond,,,,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi peeps,,,,, had goldfish in indoor tank for a year or so ,,,, recently decided some of these guys will have a better life in a bigger pond,. So dug one and got em in,,,,
I'm just wondering if there are any other little wonders I can add to the pond,,
Just looked at ramshorn snails but the fact they could over run the place seems off putting!!!!! Any ideas????

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have tons of snails they have never overrun the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you have anything controlling population?? I'm only going on what I've read so far!!!! Breeding too much being the main down fall,,,,

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Do you have anything controlling population?? I'm only going on what I've read so far!!!! Breeding too much being the main down fall,,,,
Their population will be controlled by their food source, ie algae, you will find their population will wax and wane with their food.

Like addy1 never had an issue with them, even in ponds with no population control.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

My favorite pond snail is the Japanese trap door snail. Don’t know if you can get them in the UK, though.

How big is your pond?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1657495629127.gif
@minerschris808

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I won't add snails i'm in my pond to often. don't want to step on the little buggers or grind a shell into my liner

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I won't add snails i'm in my pond to often. don't want to step on the little buggers or grind a shell into my liner
The snail crush easy, I have stepped on a few, no damage to the liner. The fish come running for the free meal.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm twice your weight not worth the risk I'm my opinion for Me. I stop feeding the fish and any scrap of algae is history

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We added about two dozen trap door snails 10 years ago. Rarely see them, but we know they are still there because I occasionally will scoop out an empty shell. Not sure if it's the remains of a snack or if someone died, but it's always interesting to come across one.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We added about two dozen trap door snails 10 years ago. Rarely see them, but we know they are still there because I occasionally will scoop out an empty shell. Not sure if it's the remains of a snack or if someone died, but it's always interesting to come across one.
Here you go, Look for algae clumps that move.
20220710_104159(1).jpg

Ask a Question