What is a good pond heater?

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
waynefrcan said:
It's 4 ft deep at the heater and I don't believe in this stratification at all for ponds in our climate. I'm zone 2/3 and our frost layer is 3'. I was told design the pond depth below the freezing layer and you will get stratification. BS, didn't happen.

Yep, I agree with you that "stratification" is a terrible selling point as to why a pond should have a good depth. However, Mucky's pond did achieve a small degree of stratification and I doubt an extra foot depth, that is 5ft deep, made the difference.

I think the recommendation of pond depth is to reduce water temperature volatility since fish do not like water temperature volatility, which I also think is a concern that is far too exaggerated much like the hydrogen sulfide scare.

During this time of year and during the Spring, in my shallow 15" pond, I am registering approximately a 10*F~15*F change in water temperature. Ironically, the "experts" tell me this is suppose to kill my fish.

Reaction score
crsublette said:
Yep, I agree with you that "stratification" is a terrible selling point as to why a pond should have a good depth. However, Mucky's pond did achieve a small degree of stratification and I doubt an extra foot depth, that is 5ft deep, made the difference.

I think the recommendation of pond depth is to reduce water temperature volatility since fish do not like water temperature volatility, which I also think is a concern that is far too exaggerated much like the hydrogen sulfide scare.

During this time of year and during the Spring, in my shallow 15" pond, I am registering approximately a 10*F~15*F change in water temperature. Ironically, the "experts" tell me this is suppose to kill my fish.
Over what time period do you notice this temperature change? I can tell you that I have, before I knew any better, done some large water changes that significantly lowered the water temperature back when I had preformed liner ponds. All the fish hunkered down at the bottom for a while each time, but none died.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
dieselplower said:
Over what time period do you notice this temperature change? I can tell you that I have, before I knew any better, done some large water changes that significantly lowered the water temperature back when I had preformed liner ponds. All the fish hunkered down at the bottom for a while each time, but none died.

For my pond, it's definitely within a 12 hour period.

Water changes can change the water temp much more, especially during the summer if your pond gets quite warm; so, if there is a concern, then the new water should be slowly added to the pond. Depending on the pond and season, there can be an easy 30*F temp change from water changes, which I do think this type of quick change must have to significantly shock the fish to almost death. I have not yet heard of fish dieing due to radical temperature change within a short period, but I am not going to flat out discount the event if all I have to back me up is "just because of my observation".

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
That's good, Mucky is in a warmer zone which should have helped I guess. Not all of Can. is an icecube for 5 months.

Ask a Question