What is Best Way to Fix Minor Cracks

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks again Folks for the info

Since the overflow tube was mentioned. How far below the top of the pond should the overflow tube be positioned ?
Should the tube be vertical or slanted. The one right now is slanted and I wondered why ?

Thanks
JC

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine is 4 inch's from the top but guessing that depends on you .Not sure there is any set height .When i raise the height of my pond sides it is only going to be around 2 inch's from the top.Going to also change the pipe to a T pipe

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
similar to what I have in my filters .Except made mistake not a T pipe it will be a cross pipe

Attachments

• rainy day landscape and pond leak 2015 019.JPG
    rainy day landscape and pond leak 2015 019.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 229

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have screening over them but found the other pipe I had allowed air to stop water flow .If I have the cross pipe it will allow air to come in from the top and also water to flow out from the top like it does in my filters so they never overflow

Reaction score
Country
United States
They sent me a sample of the rpe and I was not really impressed with it .I saw the same video at the time .It reminded me of the billboard tarp liners that are sold .I have a billboard tarp liner so it was a pretty good comparison .What is strange about it is that I looked it up and could find little info on it that was not older info .I found that the edges on the rpe shredded somewhat when pulled on .The liners once put in properly just sit still and to hide the top part you just use rocks .Mine it just set over the top of the concrete block .

Hi, Sissy.
I have edpm UNDER concrete and now have cracks in concrete.
My question is ... placing the concrete blocks has not cracked or ripped your liner? How long have you had pond? (Mine is 9 years old.)
With my cracks in the aggregate/concrete, I'm concerned the cracks will now tear/rip holes in the edpm liner and wondering how to fix ...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi, Sissy.
I have edpm UNDER concrete and now have cracks in concrete.
My question is ... placing the concrete blocks has not cracked or ripped your liner? How long have you had pond? (Mine is 9 years old.)
With my cracks in the aggregate/concrete, I'm concerned the cracks will now tear/rip holes in the edpm liner and wondering how to fix ...
This is a 2015 post and she has not been on line for awhile.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If your pond is truly made of fiberglass, then you might want to learn how to use fiberglass sheets along with the proper resin. That would be the best fix in my opinion. I learned how to do it back in high school auto-body shop in the '70's.
if you're handy, it's not hard.

If you put caulking or putty in there, it will probably just crack again.

You can buy kits at auto parts stores, marine stores or online.

I'll bet you can find a bunch of You Tube videos on the subject.

Basically you clean and rough up the crack and surrounding area. A grinder works good for this. Use eye protection, gloves and a respirator or a dust mask. With a scissor, cut a fiberglass cloth to cover the crack with a good amount of overlap. The resin is two parts, resin and hardener. Mix the proper amount of hardener with some resin in a disposable container. A tin foil pan is good. Spread some of the mixture onto the area with a plastic squeegee. Lay the cloth onto it and squeegee it in place getting all the air out. Squeegee some more resin on top of it until the cloth is saturated and your done. You have to work fast because it sets up in minutes. You have to wear disposable gloves.

If the edges turn out rough when it sets up, it can be sanded. You can even add additional layers later if you want.

This will be a solid permanent repair if done correctly.

It can be painted, but in a pond I would just leave it bare. Algae will grow and cover it quick enough.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If your pond is truly made of fiberglass, then you might want to learn how to use fiberglass sheets along with the proper resin. That would be the best fix in my opinion. I learned how to do it back in high school auto-body shop in the '70's.
if you're handy, it's not hard.

If you put caulking or putty in there, it will probably just crack again.

You can buy kits at auto parts stores, marine stores or online.

I'll bet you can find a bunch of You Tube videos on the subject.

Basically you clean and rough up the crack and surrounding area. A grinder works good for this. Use eye protection, gloves and a respirator or a dust mask. With a scissor, cut a fiberglass cloth to cover the crack with a good amount of overlap. The resin is two parts, resin and hardener. Mix the proper amount of hardener with some resin in a disposable container. A tin foil pan is good. Spread some of the mixture onto the area with a plastic squeegee. Lay the cloth onto it and squeegee it in place getting all the air out. Squeegee some more resin on top of it until the cloth is saturated and your done. You have to work fast because it sets up in minutes. You have to wear disposable gloves.

If the edges turn out rough when it sets up, it can be sanded. You can even add additional layers later if you want.

This will be a solid permanent repair if done correctly.

It can be painted, but in a pond I would just leave it bare. Algae will grow and cover it quick enough.

So the fiberglass repair willwork as a permanent fix for edpm liner that has a tear?

Ask a Question