Country
United States
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5/6
Country
United States
to answer the questions: Test kit API "When high phosphate is detected steps need to be taken...The addition of API Pond-Zyme Sludge Destroyer help to reduce the organic matter..."

I felt I had to get out as much of the soap that leeched into the pond. I probably took out 1/3 or more. Now I know that I have to build that side up.

I think next spring I will redo all the sides. Unless between my busy life coming up I do it in October.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Donna, nitrates and phosphates can only be removed by plants or water changes.
"Sludge-busters" aid in the breakdown of detritus buildup that accumulates at the bottom of the pond. As that detritus breaks down, it releases more nitrates and phosphates.
Salt will kill plants.

I agree with Lisa's sentiments, you have a very nice pond.(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5/6
Country
United States
Thanks for answering to my questions and concerns. You can say it.... "It's cute"..... But it's all my yard can handle... I will stop water changes for a while sense I only have 'Mr Lonely' now. All the others are gone. Test the water again in a week or so. I think it's too late to buy more fish. Probable the store doesn't have any more in stock anyway. Why buy more just to put them to bed in frigid water.... I will reassess everything next (tears in my eyes) spring. It seems such a short season to learn so much guys. There are times I wonder why I would try such a feat. Until someone come into the backyard and say's how nice and 'cute' it is. Then I just want to learn more. If it wasn't for all you great people............. Thanks for your time.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for answering to my questions and concerns. You can say it.... "It's cute"..... But it's all my yard can handle... I will stop water changes for a while sense I only have 'Mr Lonely' now. All the others are gone. Test the water again in a week or so. I think it's too late to buy more fish. Probable the store doesn't have any more in stock anyway. Why buy more just to put them to bed in frigid water.... I will reassess everything next (tears in my eyes) spring. It seems such a short season to learn so much guys. There are times I wonder why I would try such a feat. Until someone come into the backyard and say's how nice and 'cute' it is. Then I just want to learn more. If it wasn't for all you great people............. Thanks for your time.
They are our pets and we love them. That’s the only “excuse” anyone needs!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
As to the salt issue one should never use table salt as there are impurities in it. You can if you wish buy large sacks of medicated pond salt if you wish, or simply go to your usual supermarket and buy 3kg sacks of cooking salt and use that instead it's a darn site cheaper than the medicated pond salt but remember salt has to be removed after treatment and you have a devil of a job to remove it from your pond.
Good pond and filter husbandry goes a very long way towards a healthy pond.
Good water quality goes a long way to keeping your fish health as well as routine water testing.
Test strips do not give you accurate readings so I would strongly recommend that you buy the API Pond Master drop test kit giving you a number of differing regents for Ammonia Nitrate, Nitrite And PH to buster your Kh a product called Kusuri Lythaqua which is a form of calcified sea weed

Dave

Ask a Question