What is this infection?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My neighbor lost a koi yesterday and asked me to help identify what caused it. Please see the pictures below.

At first glance, it appears to be some type of fungal infection. But if you look closely, it does look like a predator may have gotten ahold of it. I'ts hard to tell.

He did tell me that yesterday AM, the fish was hanging out by the waterfall (maybe trying to get more oxygen?) and then a few hours later he noticed it was dead.

Any ideas?

IMG_2978.jpg
IMG_2977.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Can you give us any information about your friend’s pond? Size, how long running, number and size of fish, filtration, potential nearby predators? Does he test his water, and if so, what were is results?

That’s pretty bad. Any other fish seem unwell?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My neighbor lost a koi yesterday and asked me to help identify what caused it. Please see the pictures below.

At first glance, it appears to be some type of fungal infection. But if you look closely, it does look like a predator may have gotten ahold of it. I'ts hard to tell.

He did tell me that yesterday AM, the fish was hanging out by the waterfall (maybe trying to get more oxygen?) and then a few hours later he noticed it was dead.

Any ideas?

View attachment 160610View attachment 160611
So the neighbor didn't see that big wound when it was by the waterfall or before? If not then that could have happened at an earlier date by a predator and the poor fish just went to the waterfall to die finally. Looks to me like something ripped him/her apart.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Please euthanize that poor fish its far to late to help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
It does appear a predator got ahold of the poor fish. The injury doesn't appear new either......could it have happened earlier and the infection and fungus ( I do see fungus) spread?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It did look like a predatory wound to me. I'm in the Dallas suburbs and we typically see squirrels, rats, bobcats, blue heron (the avator is my garage roof), armadillos and possums occasionally.

If it was a predator, how did the fish get away? That fish was probably about 8 inches or so. The wound was about 3 inches or so across. Is it normal for predators to spit the fish out?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have found fish 20 feet from the water where a Heron dropped it. They sometimes get spooked. I now have motion lights and cameras on the pond so I can see who's invading.

Ask a Question