addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
44 right now, still raining, so far 1.14 inches has fallen.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thats a nice rain addy
I dont need much i want to plant deer corn this weekend

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is it warm enough for corn yet? I usually wait till april or so.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Prayers for those hit by the early morning tornadoes. Southern Illinois town of Harrisburg got hit really hard, 4 people dead, 250-300 homes destroyed or damaged, 25 businesses destroyed or damaged, 100 people hurt at last count. Devastating! My cousin in Southern Indiana was close to the path, I guess i packed a punch still by the time it go there, homes damaged and debris everywhere. Just very windy here, got up to close to 70 and sunny all day. Bet my pond temp was close to if not 50 because all the fish were about 6" from the top this evening when I got home!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Didn't get quite as warm as they said but not much rain either .I would have preferred the rain we need it .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We got a nice 1.27 inches, a good all day rain.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You have to get the corn in early too catch the rains before they stop , and beat the heat
I might be 15 days ahead of the real farmers

I saw harrisburg on the news this morning they real got hit hard
every thing stayed north of us this time

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Humm maybe I will get some corn in then, it did not do well last year, we were so dry, then the stink bugs ate it all up. I just knocked it down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I can't get corn to grow in my garden for some stupid reason. Still have not figured that out. I planted it 3 times 2 years ago, first time thought maybe too wet, second time too cold .... but third time was perfect, still only got maybe dozen stalks, not worth messing with. Last year, waited until it was warmer and dryer, still nothing. Corn I was using should have come up no matter what the temps were, as others had planted it 2 weeks before me. Only other reason I can come up with is that each and every time I have tried to plant corn, it has been the wrong sign in the Almanac. I'm a firm believer in that, but come on, 5 times??? I find that hard to believe, but I sure will try one more time this year, in the right sign for planting above ground crops, and see if it succeeds. Sweet corn typically needs much warmer ground to emerge than field corn. And, one type I was trying to grow specifically said a certain temp which was even warmer than the other types! As expensive as that hybrid sweet corn seed was, I don't want to even buy it again until I can convince myself it was the timing, not the ground that something is in the dirt to keep corn from growing. I've had no problem with tomato and pepper plants. Same problem with green beans, which were planted twice a year ago, with same results, only a dozen or so plants, and I had 2 rows about 30' long. That's not a good enough amount to keep them.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I only planted 6 corn stalks and they only grew abut 4 feet tall and when the few did get some cobs on them the raccoon's took them. Tore the whole plant down getting the corn off.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We had 50 plus feet planted, 4 rows deep, it grew great, had nice cobs, then it dried up before the cobs plumped out then the stink bugs invaded, each cob covered with bugs. Going to try one more time, than give up, this will be the third year attempt.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok I finally got online today. Power was off for 8 hrs cuz we got a few inches of real heavy wet snow. Must have knocked something down somewhere. No phone, no cable and no electricity.

When I grew corn here for several yrs in a row till the deer started eating it all I would take the seeds and put them between 2 sheets of wet paper towels and keep them moist............don't let dry out..............and wait for a few days till they germinated and then plant them. No problems ever w/ them growing. Love corn but just too many carbs for my liking now also. Don't worry if the corn in the towels gets a bit of mold on it as it never hurt my corn. You can change the towels now and then if you like.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I'll end up planting around 2 acres of corn, And will just leave it their for the deer to eat when they get hungry
It made it to 72 today ,just right

Ask a Question