j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Reminds me of when I was a little girl and my mom said you are gonna sit there all night till you eat those peas! Guess what I won, and didn't eat them and I didn't sit there all night. It's funny cuz I like peas now!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
As far as 'cold water/weather' treats, or anytime you want to "spoil" your fish with something but don't want to overfeed, goes - plain Cheerios. If the fish are large enough they can eat them whole, otherwise just crush them into smaller pieces & toss them in. My koi also love watermelon. I think goldfish would like it as well, but my little guys never get a shot at any treats tossed into the pond as the piggy koi always monopolize the open buffet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've always wondered - why peas? @CometKeith - do you know? What is it about peas that is helpful?
Hi Lisa. I used to know but it’s been a while since the last time I had to feed my fish peas so I looked it up. Swim bladder is typically caused by digestive problems. Peas are high in fiber and dense so a perfect cure for constipation. Whereas flake food is not good because the fish will swallow air when eating it. It’s also recommended in conjunction to slightly raise the water temp and not feed at all for three days. It’s also recommended the water purity be kept good. I guess there is a bacterial infection that can also cause this problem and there are medicated foods to use. I have successfully treated this with peas but I think I did have to get some medicated food one time too. It’s been a while since I have had this problem in my pond but swim bladder disease is one of the most common problems goldfish have. For Texas T I recommend an air pump in the winter instead of a heater. It will help with gas exchange and keep the same hole you need. Also in my opinion heaters help bacteria grow and you don’t really want that in the winter when your fish have low immune systems and are weaker. Re spitting the peas out it’s an acquired tasted for the fish but if you are not giving them anything else eventually they will eat their peas. It can’t be any worse than algae right? Also re your line of work..I am a builder in Illinois and all our construction guys are working as “essential “ employees. We just don’t send them to ppls houses and stay on jobs that are larger building sites where they can distance themselves from other workers. I don’t know if you have that option but if you do it’s something to think about. Good luck with your goldfish and pond. Yes going bigger and deeper is always nice. I went from 150 gallons to 3000 gallons over a period of 12 years!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok folks, I have been doing the peas for 4-5 days now, and last night I threw in some watermelon, and a few Cheerios. It turns out that my fish have different taste when it comes to different foods, and Has been entertaining and cracking me up to watch them do taste tests! So funny how they will take in a piece, suck on it, and spit it out! Some take it and swim around before they spit it out, and some just take it and just sit there looking like they are considering how it tastes! Man this is hilarious, The Tank (the big plumper) seems as though he is throwing a huge tantrum!!? After he spits his out, he will the attack the fountain wand, he goes at it and hits it with his side, and then goes down where the peas are and zip by with a quick thrust!! He is so mad, well.... That's what I'm thinking anyway? Soon as I threw in some Cheerios, he takes one and just sits there and sucks or chews it and calms right down! Great stuff, thanks for all the recommendations of treats!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ok folks, I have been doing the peas for 4-5 days now, and last night I threw in some watermelon, and a few Cheerios. It turns out that my fish have different taste when it comes to different foods, and Has been entertaining and cracking me up to watch them do taste tests! So funny how they will take in a piece, suck on it, and spit it out! Some take it and swim around before they spit it out, and some just take it and just sit there looking like they are considering how it tastes! Man this is hilarious, The Tank (the big plumper) seems as though he is throwing a huge tantrum!!? After he spits his out, he will the attack the fountain wand, he goes at it and hits it with his side, and then goes down where the peas are and zip by with a quick thrust!! He is so mad, well.... That's what I'm thinking anyway? Soon as I threw in some Cheerios, he takes one and just sits there and sucks or chews it and calms right down! Great stuff, thanks for all the recommendations of treats!
Hi TexasT. Is the one fish doing any better? Since you are new here I hope you don’t mind some advice. If you hit the buttons for ”like” or “reply” it makes it easier for people to know you replied to their comments. Oh btw How are you enjoying Wisconsin now that it’s not locked down? I’m in Illinois and when I saw pics of people sitting in a bar it seemed like something out of a science fiction movie! This is the longest I have not gone to a bar since I was 17 when I had a fake ID at the University of Wisconsin! Shh... don’t tell my kids.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi TexasT. Is the one fish doing any better? Since you are new here I hope you don’t mind some advice. If you hit the buttons for ”like” or “reply” it makes it easier for people to know you replied to their comments. Oh btw How are you enjoying Wisconsin now that it’s not locked down? I’m in Illinois and when I saw pics of people sitting in a bar it seemed like something out of a science fiction movie! This is the longest I have not gone to a bar since I was 17 when I had a fake ID at the University of Wisconsin! Shh... don’t tell my kids.
Hey Keith, sorry I haven't been on here for quite awhile. Yeah Sally, as I named her/him is doing great now!! The peas had to of worked, she and pretty much the rest of them seemed to have all became much more active and spunky, so much so that they have become very aggressive! I read and was told that maybe the males are wanting the females to spawn and lay some eggs? They keep going under the butts like they're smelling I at and then lift them up and drive into them really aggressive! So, I don't know? Do you think that's what could be happening or are the male have it out, because they are getting too big for my small pond now? Need to expand it soon. And I won't say anything to your kids about you being a Bar Fly!!! Ha! It WAS hard not being able to go to our watering holes! Soooo..... Packs or Da Bears?

Ask a Question