What kind of plants to put in Zone 6a bog?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Shhhh don't tell Fauchi OR WE WILL ALL BE WALKING AROUND WITH HULA SKIRTS MADE OF FLOWER PEDALS
Don't get me started on that crap, I'd get banned for sure
Feeling laughing.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I save my Cannas, repot and give away hundreds of them every Spring.
I don't do it to save cost, I do it because a lot of Cannas on the market have viruses, and no matter how well you take care of a sick plant, it will always look like it's dying (slow growth, yellowing of the leaves, tissue paper thin blooms etc.)
If any of you want some, send me a pm View attachment 137048

Wow! You're a Canna Queen! In all my years growing them, I've never gotten one with a virus - mine are always vigorous growers with big, gorgeous leaves and beautiful flowers. I wonder if that's a regional thing?

@GBBUDD had one last year that I was drooling over - was it called Cleopatra? It was GORGEOUS!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wow! You're a Canna Queen! In all my years growing them, I've never gotten one with a virus - mine are always vigorous growers with big, gorgeous leaves and beautiful flowers. I wonder if that's a regional thing?
I guess you're very lucky!
Unfortunately the Canna virus is very real, or at least it was, perhaps it is not a big problem anymore, I don't really know cause I gave up trying to find healthy "older" specimens.
Most Cannas on the market now come from tissue culture, or are Hybrids created in the most recent years, purposely to be virus resistant ( like the Cannova Rose, Cannova Yellow, Cannova Scarlett, Cannova Mango etc),

I only buy Cannas from Brian's Botanical because he goes out of his way to find healthy specimens to propagate. I wish he could find a healthy Maudie Malcolm , or a Tangelo even.
I used to start Cannas from seeds just to see what plant they would produce, I gave up doing so cause the Hybrids are either sterile (like the King) or produce identical plants, and where's the fun in that

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well I looks like we have a contender for fauchi's job when it comes to viruses. You got my vote

Ask a Question