What plants for a pond empty of them?

BML

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I dug a pond a good few years ago and had a few Goldfish in it which a Heron cleared then I rather ignored it. Last summer I emptied the pond and I would now like to put a few plants in it if it’s the right time of the year that is. The pond is three yards wide, five deep at one end and a foot or so at the other. It is twenty feet long. Could someone please make a few suggestions and possibly suggest a good supplier.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I dug a pond a good few years ago and had a few Goldfish in it which a Heron cleared then I rather ignored it. Last summer I emptied the pond and I would now like to put a few plants in it if it’s the right time of the year that is. The pond is three yards wide, five deep at one end and a foot or so at the other. It is twenty feet long. Could someone please make a few suggestions and possibly suggest a good supplier.
I don't know about UK suppliers, but good floaters that will help keep free floating algae down are water hyacinth and water lettuce. Sensitive plant has nice floating branching growth with yellow flowers. Of course you have your water lilies, many colors/choices there. Pickerel rush and dwarf papyrus are nice marginals, some hardy, some that will be annuals for those in winter climates. For fast growing, there's forget-me-nots, variegated clover, water mint, parrot's feather, with some being invasive; check your local area for such. Taller plants are taro, water canna, water hibiscus, many types of iris, zebra grass, thalia, and cardinal flower. And you can even put many annuals on the margin or if you have one, in a bog filter (highly recommended fro zero maintenance other than thinning plants).

Consider a net system to keep the predators out so you can enjoy the hobby! Just ask, if you have further questions.

Welcome to GPF; j.w will be along shortly with your anigif...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1645036305751.gif
@BML

The train runs late here as I'm way over on the west coast and still in bed when all these other early risers are up and running.

I finally had to resort to the net over my pond if I wanted to keep the fish safe. Tried just about everything under the sun before I did. Nothing worked forever. The net gives me peace of mind............so far and it's been several years using it. The net is up on stakes so I can enter the pond for maintenance easier.

IMG_9666.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
About sellers in UK can't help...

plants: Iris pleudacorus(yellow iris), iris louisiana, iris versicolor, mentha, juncus, equisetum, forget me not, potenderia, thypha(cut the tails before spread everywhere)...and more and more...

down here a link of site with some examples...you can choose what you want in your future pond. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The net gives me peace of mind............

...and it's a CHORE protecting that 'piece' of mind, let me tells ya! Got me and ol' Dime out on double duty now, just looking fer brain stealers--tis the season, apparently... :D :cool: ;)

Reaction score
Country
United States
One planting option would be to focus in native plants for a wildlife pond.

This website is a good introduction for selecting and planting native pond plants in Britain.
https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-w...-wildlife/water-for-wildlife/stocking-a-pond/

Of course, you can mix natives with other ornamental water plants that you find appealing.

Think about the different categories of pond plants (free-floating, anchored-floating, free-submerged, anchored-submerged, emergent, marginal, and bog) and how they will fit into the space you have. All anchored/rooted pond plants can be grown in containers. You just need to set the containers so that the soil surface is at the appropriate depth either below or above the waterline. Blocks can be used to raise a pot in deep water.

Most pond plants do best in full sun, but some are shade-tolerant as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hardy perennials would be a sound start, be picky about establishing plants which have good long term characteristics, steer clear of invasives that would be difficult to control on a large pond

I always liked picking up plants from Bennets waterlily farm, they know how to raise disease free waterlilies, something of a curse from many other sources. A mail order parcel of a dozen plants was always something to look forward to....

A couple of medium size hardy waterlily, three aquatic iris (not the yellow flag brute) Water hawthorn, Water fringe, pickerel, thalia, golden club, arrow arum, Acorus Gramineus variegata, for masking pond edges, creeping Jenny, Parrots feather

There are others, may take you a whiles to choose between so many gems...

Attachments

• Water_Hawthornspring.jpg
    Water_Hawthornspring.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 17
  • water fringe-Jaime Valdemar Rivas fb.jpg
    water fringe-Jaime Valdemar Rivas fb.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 17
  • pickerel6.jpg
    pickerel6.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 23
  • thalia650.jpg
    thalia650.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 16
  • golden_club6.jpg
    golden_club6.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 18
  • arrow_arum-650.jpg
    arrow_arum-650.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Japanese rush Acorus variegatus.jpg
    Japanese rush Acorus variegatus.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 19
  • creeping_jenny9.jpg
    creeping_jenny9.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 18
  • parrots_feather6.jpg
    parrots_feather6.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20iris_ensata_variegata6.jpg
    20iris_ensata_variegata6.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 7clyde-redmond6.jpg
    7clyde-redmond6.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 19
  • jap-iris butterfly.jpg
    jap-iris butterfly.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 18

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hardy perennials would be a sound start, be picky about establishing plants which have good long term characteristics, steer clear of invasives that would be difficult to control on a large pond

I always liked picking up plants from Bennets waterlily farm, they know how to raise disease free waterlilies, something of a curse from many other sources. A mail order parcel of a dozen plants was always something to look forward to....

A couple of medium size hardy waterlily, three aquatic iris (not the yellow flag brute) Water hawthorn, Water fringe, pickerel, thalia, golden club, arrow arum, Acorus Gramineus variegata, for masking pond edges, creeping Jenny, Parrots feather

There are others, may take you a whiles to choose between so many gems...
Lots of goodies in those photo's and some are fave's of mine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
as a starter plant until the others have a couple years to grow i'd look at water cress it grows very fast easy to maintain

Ask a Question