What size pump & filter and what power,,,,help me !

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am thinking of buying a small 450 litre (100 uk gallon) pond which is on sale in my local garden center, which is a heavy duty molded pond which seems very rigid and good quality, i plan to have it above ground level with brickwork supporting it well underneath and then building a stonework surround so it looks good, the pond also has places all the way round for plants to be placed.

What i need help with is what pump or filter would be the best for this size, i would like a small fountain in the middle and just a couple of small goldfish to be kept in it. I may even buid a waterfall from stone work to go with it at the side.

i realy am a newbie to all this though i do keep tropical fish so i know abit. Remember i am in Spain so the pond will get strong sunlight on it for half the day where it will be placed.

any advice would be great, i just need to know a good pump and filter and fountain solution, and dont want to spend crazy money on it ,but still want it to work well and last.

hope some of you can help. Carl

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Any small lph pump would work, you will want to try and turn the water over once an hour. There a some easy to build diy filters in the diy section that you could incorporate if you want some great filtration. In you water fall (if you build one) you could have a waterfall filter box, i.e. filter material before it waterfalls back into the pond. Have a bottom drain on that box to be able to drain the muck out.

For that pond you could stick with a submersible pump, have it in small filter box. piped to go up to a waterfall box with some more filtration. You will need to watch the temperatures, hot in summer, cold in winter so your fish do fine

And welcome to our group!

welcomewagon-15.gif

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and I had a preformed pond that size when I first started my pond and had a 450 gph pump in mine and it came with a fountain head and a filter you can build your self .Not sure what brand of pumps you have there.Spain I am suspecting it can get hot so that might be why that pond is cheap .It may heat up to fast

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome3.gif
Carl
Make sure it gets some shade as it's not very deep and will heat up like a pan on the stove. Pretty simple to dig your own pond and make it deeper and just throw a rubber liner in there and make it any shape you want. That way it would be cool down below in summer and not cook your fish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you are doing above ground even easier to throw a liner in that kind of fame work .I think whiskey's project on here would be a good example of that .He seems to be doing a waterwheel and above ground pond and i think he is going to use a sealer type stuff on his but not sure .But there are examples of above ground ponds on you tube ,that also may help you .I know there are several others on here with above ground ponds or even partially above ground .I have a partially above ground with a inside wall and then some dirt then an outside wall and it has a liner .My pond on one side is a foot above ground level only because there was a side walk there and the other side is about 3 feet above ground

Ask a Question