Whatcha doing today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
County will fix it once it dries out. So next week? Expect the river will jump the banks, probably tomorrow. I walked across the neighbors field to get to paved road so my boss could pick me up for work, then back again in the dark to get home, only this time the path I went out on was knee deep in places. Forecast says rain most of tonight and tomorrow. Tomorrow I’ll just hike out in shorts and take work clothes with me!

Here is where your military training will help you get through, hang in there and take care.
Barb

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
To the north, the road is gone in one spot for sure, under water for a big stretch in two areas. About to loose road right by our drive where our 4’ arroyo has a culvert that goes under the road. It’s about 4” from the road top. To the south, there’s even less road. I watched a snake swim for it’s life, fighting the current, and then to the south, a big carp tried to get upstream and failed.

Attachments

• 1D30375F-14FA-436E-950A-3540F64D0853.jpeg
    1D30375F-14FA-436E-950A-3540F64D0853.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 7F53B02F-62B1-4592-BAD5-92A24CEB85E4.jpeg
    7F53B02F-62B1-4592-BAD5-92A24CEB85E4.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 01A8C559-E349-469B-B11F-96AFD2772118.jpeg
    01A8C559-E349-469B-B11F-96AFD2772118.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 107
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Went to hike out to go to work, the river said No. it’s creating the banks as I type. I’ll be going to check it periodically. Thank god it’s not freezing cold, I can wear capris and sandals to go out. I brought my plants in, temps are expected to drop to low 40s over night soon, I’m thinking I’ll have to figure out how to bring a tank in for my smaller fish, warm weather plants, and consolidate the rest into the mini pond with my aquarium heater to keep a hole in the ice along with my pump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
a little back story; we had two stray dogs show up last week. A female pup that looks to be part redbone coon hound, and an adult male that’s maybe some kind of shepherd mostly splotches of black and grey. They just showed up, I’ve been trying to find their owner with no luck. So they stay.
Well we have taken a liking to them. Little miss is just the sweetest thing, and we call him Checkers. They followed me hiking out yesterday, and she didn’t come back. So just a bit ago, we were out feeding the critters, heard a puppy yip, and there she was, crawling out of the flood waters. Yeah, she got to come inside, ended up on my lap, with cats snuggled in around her, I think we have two new dogs!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Raised bed for veggies or flowers?View attachment 116496
Both, planning to hopefully add a 275 gallon water container with a hoop cover for beans and such on one end, and some native plants on the opposite end. Not sure how far I will get though as that section has been left to the wilderness for 30 plus years. The last nor Easter we had damaged and knocked a lot of trees, so that area has sunlight for the first time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You are kind to help the dogs @JamieB , who know maybe someone will put up flyers looking for them.
She makes a very nice foot warmer! Based on her breathing, I’m guessing she I hailed some water on her swim, so I’ll be watching for sighs of pneumonia. I’m so glad I’m a medic and have a good amount of knowledge and various meds on hand to treat at least basic problems. One of our ( definitely ours) dogs has a spot on his paw that’s infected, he got a paw-de-cure wash with iodine, then a new look from the purple wound coat, it stains things very purple. I think it’s pretty, but it works well. That paw will get treated like that daily, much to his disgust I’m sure. And as for these two, I’ll keep an eye out, but animal control never got back to me like she said she would. So I’ll be fine if they stay! My husband argues that Little Miss is part beagle, I say redbone coon hound pup, I guess only time will tell.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 114
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
D51CEBE3-9158-43AC-9937-3996B4763FD7.jpeg 7F56F0FD-FA3C-4B6E-B917-C7504007A70B.jpeg 9030D3CA-B587-483E-A7FC-6A80A5162889.jpeg The river has reached my driveway, from across the property. Tomorrow I’ll wade out to see just how bad it is, but for now, it’s periodic checks to see if I need to move vehicles. Yes, that is a tombstone, yes, it’s real, no, no body ( that we know of!) This place used to be owned by a graveyard caretaker, who would bring the old stones here when they were replaced.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The last nor Easter we had damaged and knocked a lot of trees, so that area has sunlight for the first time.
The exact thing happened to us! When we bought this 4 acre property only a third of an acre around the house was maintained, the rest was completely overgrown. Our dream was to clear up the property but there were so many mature trees it would have taken us years and more money that we were willing to spend....and then the universe stepped in to give us a hand, one storm after another we now have the property we used to dream of....all short grass, flowering trees and flowerbeds and wooded all around :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
but there were so many mature trees it would have taken us years and more money that we were willing to spend...
Same, when we moved in no one has done maintenance for about 30 years, everything had over grown to the door, so we did have to take down a lot. I did feel bad for my neighbor on the side where a lot of his trees were damaged, he had to take them down in late June as they were unstable, his wife told me he planted them with his grandfather as a boy, and some were planted by his grandparents. So my pond was going to be in the shade, now it's in a lot of sun. It's exciting as most of our garden is shaded, so I will be able to grow veggies next year with this opened up area. I'm also going to take down a few maple trees in the the middle of garden as I have planted fruit trees that need the sun, just did not want to fell them without a plan to replace them with something. So some good can come from storms at least.

Ask a Question