Whatcha doing today?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Had to go out and get a new dishwasher! Ours works fine, only 5-6 years old. NEVER put a container that has held mothballs in a dishwasher! Handwashed the jar and loaded it into dishwasher in the evening. Next morning when I went to run the machine, the smell knocked me over. 4 gallons vinegar, 2 gallons bleach, 10lbs baking soda and 3 lbs activated charcoal- still reeks! Called manufacturers, only other option, replace machine! I'm sick over it but thankfully hubby is being understanding.

I made the mistake of washing my countertop compost bin in the dishwasher - holy heck! What a smell. Took me WEEKS to get rid of it! Like you I tried vinegar, baking soda, bleach, extra soap... nothing worked until I used some Lemi-shine. I used to have to use it all the time with my old dishwasher to get the hard water stains off the dishes, but I remembered that it also helped clean the dishwasher. Finally got rid of the smell.

Sounds like yours was way worse though. I wonder what's in mothballs that it infiltrates so completely?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’m not a fan of moth balls! They can be toxic to cats and dogs. But they have their uses, just none I care to use!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So it’s looking like we are having tick born illnesses going around, possibly bob cat fever. Which means we need to get the dogs fenced in and get chickens. I’m tired of loosing cats!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Naptha as well as a pesticide! The heat just keeps reactivating it and as long as you can smell it, they say it can cause health issues. New dishwasher ordered. Most of my plastic containers were in there so they are gone. I have an older set of dishes and the clear glaze on some is cracked so I may be shopping for new dishes as well.
I had not heard of Bobcat fever. It sounds like a nasty thing. I had considered building a catio (cat patio) for our kids but with fleas, ticks and all the crazy critters in the yard, my kitties are housebound forever.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Naptha as well as a pesticide! The heat just keeps reactivating it and as long as you can smell it, they say it can cause health issues. New dishwasher ordered. Most of my plastic containers were in there so they are gone. I have an older set of dishes and the clear glaze on some is cracked so I may be shopping for new dishes as well.
I had not heard of Bobcat fever. It sounds like a nasty thing. I had considered building a catio (cat patio) for our kids but with fleas, ticks and all the crazy critters in the yard, my kitties are housebound forever.
If you’ve got cats, get a good flea and tick prevention going. I’ll be spending $ for the good meds, I’ve got one very sick kitty now, and will do my best to save the rest, but talk to a vet. Prevesto is the top recommendation in our area right now, at $21 per application, plus vet visit, and I’m looking at 30 odd for blood work, plus if they have to send it off to confirm with another place.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My fur children are not even allowed on the deck, especially after reading about the bobcat fever. We are in Maryland so i'm guessing no chance of it here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Bobcat fever is a Protozoa that causes blood clots, fever, organ damage, and is carried by lone star ticks. The original host is bobcats, so anywhere bob cats roam that has lone star ticks is at risk.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Frustrated. My cat likes to go out, but due to the risk, I’m not letting him, so he’s being a butt. I didn’t get a lot of sleep with staying up with his brother till he’s passed, then getting woke due to dog barking and him meowing, turns out momma dog has upset tummy from eating all the kittens food, so she pottied in the house, and he wants out. Flooded in again, this happened quicker than expected so my cars here, so I’ll be borrowing my sisters truck again. Looks like today’s groceries will be brought in by me, the pack mule! I need more coffee.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Sorry things are getting worse instead of better Jamie. You have a lot of animals and I don't know how you deal with all the issues they bring. I just have my 2 kitties and of course the koi. Don't know what I would do without my boys but sometimes I want to pack them in boxes and send them to someone else!
Waiting on new dishwasher installer. Not cooking till its here.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So sorry all is not good in the @JamieB household. You are going through way too much and sure hope things take a turn for the better soon. Can cats be immunized for this disease?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Not yet. Standard treatment only works on 25%, new treatments are in the works, testing isn’t even great. Most vets don’t have the lab to test for it, so they have to send them off, so by the time results are in, the cat is either dead or fine. From onset of symptoms to critical point, it’s less than a week. There are new treatments in the testing phase, a mix of two meds, plus tick repellents are working on getting certified for repelling the lone star tick.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
And I’m up! Water finally dropped, so I borrowed my sisters truck so I can get to work, roads too rough for my car, drinking coffee now. Kittens slept in my seat, they’re waking up now, and momma dog steals my seat every chance she gets.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Drive safe! There might be a bunch of holes in the roads.

We had our fur baby get her teeth cleaned and one broken one removed. Spent the evening taking care of the lil one. Heading out soon for the market, hope no deer hit today like last weekend.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Saw this, had to share

Attachments

• 5138270C-7713-42DD-932C-1D7A92D0F74F.png
    5138270C-7713-42DD-932C-1D7A92D0F74F.png
    166 KB · Views: 94

Ask a Question