addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I still need to rake out the plant debris left behind. Scared a few frogs. Next big job is pulling the lilies and cleaning them, fertilizing them.

I try to do before it gets really cold, like to leave the pond running until the water settles. A lot of debris/dirt ends up in the pond after the yank job and the lily job, stirs up some debris.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks so much better now that it's all cleaned out! You can see the individual plants now and even walk through it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks so much better now that it's all cleaned out! You can see the individual plants now and even walk through it.
True but it sure won't filter as well! Next summer it will all be back. I let it go crazy, does a great job that way

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep the plants are the filter but if causing water loss now then yank and wait for them to grow back. Right now ya don't need to much filtering as winter arrives. That is if it ever does there.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I do add water all summer, between the plants using it, esp when we are in the 90's for months and dry sunny days and evaporation from the bog surface.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well today was hot tub winter prep, ripped and tore out a lot of the plants that have grown like all pond plants do............like weeds!

This is before: the plants in the front area are mini cattails, water willow and cotton grass.
ht pond bf.JPG

This is after: I moved the cattails, the grass and pulled a bunch of the water willow out. It had grown a massive root mass over the summer. Figured I should get it under control or the entire pond will be water willow next year. Still have a ton, it will come back without issue.
I moved the other plants since I figured out we couldn't see the lilies blooming when they opened the plants blocked the view from our windows. The six lilies in the pond, groomed fed, added kitty litter put back in.
Poor pond looks empty now.

I moved the pump so will eventually hide the tubing better. Also moved the water fall so it hits plants that don't care about water movement not like lilies. The bees were not happy I was messing with their water hole, but no stings!
ht pond after.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I personally, have no issue with those spiders. And I think the little jumping spiders are adorable. But my husband says all spiders belong outside. So when we find one in a sink or tub, I get to catch it in a cup and put it out. The one spider I’m not keen on is the brown recluse, and by extension, the wolf spiders that look so much like them. Black widows don’t even bother me, but the idea of necrosis from a bite is just off putting

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@JamieB same w/me, I love spiders and when my hubby sees one inside he yells, ya better come and remove your friend right now!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We had tons of black windows in AZ, they seemed to poof out of the ground every night. No matter how many you wiped out. I planted a lot of eucalyptus trees, black windows gone! They don't like them.

Our spider friend is eating a stink bug!
20191011_182508.jpg

Ask a Question