Whatcha doing today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Went over to my mechanics house, set up plans for him to work on my car Friday. Ended up talking ponds with him, his is looking good, aside from what I consider a sad lack of plants! I ended up rescuing a hurt bird from his place, a beautiful male, starling or some such, hes got a hurt wing and bare butt, no tail feathers at all! Mr grumpy is now set up in my critter keeper, home made rabit hutch, with branches, a dish of water, seed, and bin of dirt and bugs.

Attachments

• 20200506_155554.jpg
    20200506_155554.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 41

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
checked my pickle plants under glass they look great .pickle peanut and puddles got steak bones and momma was on the roof of the house

Attachments

• 102_0094.JPG
    102_0094.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 102_0093.JPG
    102_0093.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 102_0087.JPG
    102_0087.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 102_0089.JPG
    102_0089.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 37

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Been wandering around the yard today adding bird bathes everywhere! Have these old aluminum dish looking things that hubby got from his old job. They were throwing them out so he brought them home. Birds love them. My birds are spoiled, they have more bird bathes than they know what to do with!

IMG_9396.JPG

IMG_9397.JPG

IMG_9401.JPG

IMG_9402.JPG

IMG_9404.JPG

IMG_9405.JPG

IMG_9359.JPG

These below are just old ones I have had for awhile:

IMG_9399.JPG

IMG_9398.JPG

IMG_9403.JPG

IMG_9408.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I need to figure out how to set up birdbaths here where cats can't get them. We have a lovely pair of cardinals who like to steal dogfood, I occasionally put out bird seed for them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes I no longer have any cats left so the birds now have a good chance of survival. Before w/the cats I had to have everything up high. Not many wandering cats around here either. Hawks tho are another story. When we cut down a tree we used the tall stump to put one of those bird bath bowels on. My hubby rounded out the top of the stump so the bowl sits perfect on it. I put a flat round paver in the bottom of the big silver bowls to add more stability also and gives the birds a nice place to stand and wash. I have used a couple tire rims for a couple to sit on but not high enough to keep a cat away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Mr grumpy is still doing well. Turns out hes a common grackle, I just finished binding his wing and tryi g to get him to eat a worm. He have me a look for putting the work back in his mouth repeatedly, as if either he was offended I was treating him like a chick, or if he's not sure I don't plan to fatten him up before eating him. He doesn't have enough meat to make a nibble, so hes safe from me. I've had to cover the bottom half of his cage so my cats won't try to Get to him.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@JamieB I hope that bird will start eating. Says they like,grain, corn, acorns, some kinds of fruit, bird seed, bugs, berries and even minnows and goldfish. Says they like snatching food from humans too,lol!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I just fed him. He was rather disturbed that I would syringe feed him. I mixed up baby cereal, and fed him a little. I'll soften up some cat food, grind some bird seed, and mash in a few bugs, with a bit of sand, and get him eating. Poor guy couldn't decide if he liked it or not, and if I'm trying to court him or feed him like a baby. But he are, that's what counts. I grew up taking in all kinds of wild or not so wild critters, including several grackle chicks way back in the day, so this is nothing new, except that it's a full grown adult. And I saw that he does have a few mites on him, so I'll have to erradicate those when I can. My intent to to release him if he heals, I need to splint his humerous, as he had a hack of a day with my attempt to splint the whole wing. Then once the bone heals, it will be a matter of regaining feathers. His booty is bare, and I'll have to trim a few flight feathers to splint it.
The last bird I sent to a rehabber was put down, deemed too far gone, this guy won't be put down.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Caught a glimpse of the three jets that were doing a fly over the Frederick Hospital. We heard them then saw them pretty well, no camera ready of course , my cams caught this picture as they headed towards Frederick.
jets.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Cleaning the garage, found 4 kittens, two dead, two alive. Tiny little things almost missed the two alive, heard the faintest of cries. We had to remove a huge stack of drywall to find them. Tiny little gray things.

I posted on our bee email group and a vet tech came and picked them up. She said about 10 days old, dehydrated but should make it. So happy she did, I have no clue on how to raise tiny kittens, and our yorkie would not be happy.
It took us around 3 hours to calm our hunter yorkie down. She was wired once she smelled them.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Glad you found them Addy and got them the help they needed. I spent the day running from store to store trying to find fencing to go around my garden. Seems fencing and posts are right up there with meat and paper products! Everybody building quarantine fences???
I finally got 100' of fence and 8 t posts to try to keep critters out of the butterfly garden.

Ask a Question