Whatcha doing today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My plan is delayed, maybe shot. Planed to leave early, but got a late start, the tire place didn’t have my tires, so went to the big town, bought them, back to the small town to get them mounted and balanced. Now we find out the plan to go to Texas May be shot as the army hasn’t given him the money he needs to get the uhaul, and he’s getting the run around on being able to get leave, he has to check off all these things and briefs first, but one thing after another isn’t working out. Dads convinced they are giving him the run around as punishment for getting out, or something. I’m frustrated, I took these days off to get this done, and because the army is diddling him around, my vacation time is being wasted. I only accrue about an hour and a half every two weeks, I scheduled at least three days, 8 hrs each, so that’s 4 months accrued vacation.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I almost bought that one. I liked the design but was told that it was not squirrel proof by the sales lady....I have so many “squirrel proof” feeders that my guys have figured out so I went back to baffled poles.

This is my squirrel proof one, I have two. They hold about 20 lbs of seed. So the new one is now our squirrel feeder lol Fun to watch them hang on it and dig out the seeds. It is up a 15 foot pole.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Doing more epoxy and varnish on the teak I brought home from the boat. Easier to do in the basement than on the boat. Some good storms have rolled in

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Plan is shot. Apparently finance guys dropped the ball, it’s now up to 10 days before he gets his money for a uhaul, and so I canceled tomorrow’s vacation day. Oh well, I’m only slightly put out, two days of vacation time wasted, and a day and a half of stressing only to not have to go at all. I guess it’s a good thing I didn’t leave out Sunday like planned, or I’d have wasted gas money just to go pack his stuff for no reason. The price for a uhaul is a bit ridiculous, from where he’s at to here, then to Missouri, they say $700+. Looks like if I ever sell, I’m only taking sentimental stuff, buyers are getting the rest!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Finished the job today:

Three layers of epoxy, three layers of varnish, ready to go back on the boat.
Right now we are extracting honey. Well starting to extract.
20200623_101543.jpg
20200623_101554.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks beautiful @addy1
Thanks a lot of work! A boater over at the marina told me the best way to do it, epoxy and then varnish, more work, but it sure looks great.

Today, unloaded the deck railing supplies out of the van, walked the dog, then decided to work four of the hives, ie removing honey supers. MISTAKE, hot already worn out, over heated, dehydrated and 3 of the 4 hives are queenless, darn things. Honey supers are still in the van, later........

Two of the hives made no honey. One made 4 honey supers of honey, one made two. The weather has been so up and down and we loss our best nectar source, the black locust, when we had the 27f mornings in April. Trees not dead but no flowers at all this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We cleaned the pond filters, tons of gunk.....the pond looks much better now :)

Addy, seeing your teak reminds me of my Dad's beautiful boat and all it's teak, so beautiful !

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy, seeing your teak reminds me of my Dad's beautiful boat and all it's teak, so beautiful !
It is very pretty, this teak had not been taken care of. Gone through a ton of sanding pads, bought two hand sanders the one I took didn't work so off to true value, luckily very close to the boat, got one, next one picked up off Amazon. Of course Amazon for the varnish, epoxy, brushes, etc etc. Do our best to stay out of stores.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My Dad had a 48 foot Hatterus. ( sp ? ) Before that he had a Grand Banks troller......both had beautiful wood work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ca you requeen the hives? Or are they all gone? Step son is talking about setting up an apiary once he moves in if he can talk us into it... I told him we had already discussed doing so, and the answer is yes. But he also is dreaming big with a dairy cow, meat cows, chickens, I want rabbits, and an aviary for rehabbing wild birds. Since I seem to end up with one or two wild injured critters a year, an aviary set up like I want would work out for most critters.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ca you requeen the hives? Or are they all gone?
Yes you can requeen, most queens cost around 35 dollars. Or you can take eggs from one hive and add them to the queenless hive and they will make a queen. That takes time, you don't want the hive to become a layer worker hive. Then you need to toss the hive.

If he starts doing bees tell him to do at least 3 hives, and for a few years stick with that level. They are a lot of work.

Ask a Question