Whatcha doing today?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Today is a sad day for us.

About 12:30 Am last night, our dog Mandy was in severe distress. We called the vet's emergency services. After they were paged twice, they never called us. We loaded her into the car to go to the ER, only to discover we were locked inside the marina. Been coming here 6 years, and the locked gates are something new. I was able to rip a large, 10" by 10" post, buried 3 feet out next to the gate but, wasn't sure if it was enough room to get out with the ditch. We called the Sheriff's. 4 cruisers showed up. It was cold out so, I had my hands in my pockets, freaking 1 of the officers out. Luckily, I remained calm and he didn't draw his gun. He took the time to rum my name, while our dog was gasping for air inside the car. They couldn't cut the chain on the gate but finally reached someone from the marina that drove there from their house and let us out.

At the ER, we made the decision to have her put down, seems she was still suffering pretty bad, even after given Lasix and placed in the oxygen box. The doctor was real good, and let us inside the building to comfort her while he performed the task.

Ironically, exactly 10 years ago at that time we were watching our house burn to the ground. I will be dealing with the marina tomorrow to find out why we were locked inside like a jail. When I get done with him, I expect we will be looking for a different place to live.
Sounds like my luck . Sorry it was such a nightmare. And I am with you the owner of that marina would have a LOT of explaining to do. And even though you did no wrong the crap will probably land in your lap as much as it will the owner. And now your labeled a trouble maker.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
How terribly sad for you and your family. Locking someone in would seem to be a grave mistake. What if you or your family member needed emergency immediate care? Perhaps it was a mistake? If not then everyone living there should have a key to be able to get out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How terribly sad for you and your family. Locking someone in would seem to be a grave mistake. What if you or your family member needed emergency immediate care? Perhaps it was a mistake? If not then everyone living there should have a key to be able to get out.
My wife was in the hospital years ago with a ruptured tumor /sis 9 days in the hospital 14 blood transfusions was not a good time and I got locked in the parking garage I dismantled the gate with a Leatherman of course I didn't have the truck or i would have plowed trough . Calling and calling the hospital the help phone for over an hour with not one response this was at 3 or 4 in the morning. Some how a couple of the plates made it in my car and I was like now how did those get there. X mass in July for anyone who left after me as there was no one to take the money or keep you in.......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It's not a mistake. That is their current procedure to lock everyone in after a certain time. There's over 500 large boats here, plus the RV park. Some people that work here live here, and don't have a key. I'm 56 years old, and younger than the average person here. I have the owners cell number. I will try to reason with him tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I will find someone that can force him to comply with a reasonable fix.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
It's not a mistake. That is their current procedure to lock everyone in after a certain time. There's over 500 large boats here, plus the RV park. Some people that work here live here, and don't have a key. I'm 56 years old, and younger than the average person here. I have the owners cell number. I will try to reason with him tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I will find someone that can force him to comply with a reasonable fix.
Sorry, that happened to you and for the loss of your dog.

I agree with everyone, they would have some explaining to do. Although they wouldn’t have a gate up if it were me, like Gbbudd I have some tools (nature of my work)with me to take gates, objects or metal barriers down. I know marinas have gates they close at night, but ime at least around here they either open automatically from the inside or members/slip renters have a key or the code to open it. Sounds like a problem that needs to be rectified.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Speaking as a landlord , renter, taveler, owner, American, it is well outside the law " well it was untill 2020" to lock anyone In for any reason without due process and court injuction . Hell into days world people find it offensive being locked out of private property. But for safety reasons you got locking people in you could be in serious trouble. If for some reason they find there is a need to lock the doors they better have someone right there to open them to those who need to get out. If the marina gate was anything like every other out there it would have met my truck and a chain. Naaaa make that a sawsall with a metal blade little effort or damage to my truck as I did pull a mill gibson once yanking on supports when the chain went taunt IT HURTS no matter how much you brace for it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put out the ham bones in our back field (after cooking for soup) usually the opossum comes out and snacks, last night a beautiful fox made multiple visits. It comes grabs a bone or some of the fat and runs. I put out the turkey bones after thanksgiving the opossum came for the bones.
thumbnail.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’ve got two days off, then I work two shifts, and leave the last morning for the last time as an employee there. So eager to be done. I’m counting down! They still haven’t got someone to do half the stuff I did regularly. And I refuse to continue hurting my health for that job. It feels so good to be able to sit down once I get home, hurting from my feet up to my neck, with extra pain in the knees and lower back.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The owner of the marina personally came to our RV this morning and apologized a dozen times, and assured us a key card plan is in the process. Meanwhile, my wife gave him contact info to get a combo lock box.
Not to down play the loss of your dog as I generally like animals more then I do most people. But he is beyond lucky it was your dog and not you or your wife that needed emergency service

Ask a Question