sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just had to sand it smooth as it was solid color stain . orst part is some how I have got to take down the chicken wire on the inside that keeps my chihuahuas from falling off the deck . I will have to do it in sections sand the sides that are peeling and paint and put chicken wire back up . o far I have gotten all the 6x6's done and repainted with the solid color stain . Lucky i bought to many gallons of it back in 2010 and stored in my baement high up on a wire rack . . My luck with that tool would be MURPHYS LAW IF ANYTHING CAN GO WRONG IT WILL . I got the sanding pads cheap at the flea market . It was a couple of years ago I bought them and they were 100 in each pack for 5 dollars . Different grits . I bought up 15 packages so he gave them to me for 4 dollars a pack , figured that out after he gave me 3 packs for free . That was 6 years ago . So far s good . I can't believe I am almost done and hopefully weather will stay the sae and maybe I can get the back decks done . I may rebuild some the front porch deck railings next year . Some of the 2x4's are warped or split to much . I think the most have been easy to remove the stain . Just a rough sanding 6x6 splits were fairly easy with durhams water wood putty Before and after on some of the splits in pics . You do have to push hard to get wood putty in splits and then you have to smooth it so not so much sanding to do . Side porch in last pic . I was amazed at how it looked after . Front porch pics will be coming . I have to try and do somethin with all the leaves in my yard . .

Attachments

• DSC05880.JPG
    DSC05880.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC05887.JPG
    DSC05887.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC05895.JPG
    DSC05895.JPG
    219.3 KB · Views: 7

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@sissy My hubby is rebuilding our back deck right now. It is a very large, long deck. I think he is obsessive compulsive tho and is making it like it should last till the end of time! Oh well, gives him something to do but he comes in aching and crouched over like he is dying each day! Wondering if it will be done in say.................10 yrs maybe?
This photo is just after he tore all the old wood off. Will be replacing w/composite kind of decking if we ever get to that stage. He's adding a huge new beam under the center that runs all the way from end to end w/concrete holders. Replaced some of the cross boards that were not so good. Digging some kind of a trench just behind those plants so the soil and mulch will not slide under when it rains. Lining that w/some kind of ridged metal he scrounged from a building somewhere that was demolished. Lots of overkill but he says it will really be a lot stronger and much better. Ok then, on w/the show!

IMG_0541.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If I can offer only one piece of advice on decks, which I learned the hard way: Stay away from water-based stains.

I don’t care what new formulation it is or what the marketing material and everyone else says about it.

If you want easy maintenance for the whole life of the deck, oil-based stain is the only solution. No substitutions.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If I can offer only one piece of advice on decks, which I learned the hard way: Stay away from water-based stains.

I don’t care what new formulation it is or what the marketing material and everyone else says about it.

If you want easy maintenance for the whole life of the deck, oil-based stain is the only solution. No substitutions.
No more wood decks here.................too much rain and rot to deal w/living here in the great PNW so no staining needed. We are going w/the composite type of decking. Not sure if they call it fake stuff as it is made from wood and other stuff too. Guess it will only need to be cleaned now and then. Never had it before so not sure yet.
Not sure what kind of stain @sissy is using?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
oil-based stain is the only solution. No substitutions
oil and water" RAIN" don't mix thus yes always better/
Oh, and I still love your pond, @GBBUDD.
i was thinking to myself what brought that on then i saw it was on my post with Aquascapes. Oh well not that i haven't highjacked a thread here or there

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are going w/the composite
\ Even that's too much work. a deck / patio that low would get a paver stone or concrete patio one and done. i could never build a deck even with the door show and rain would back up nd in

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
\ Even that's too much work. a deck / patio that low would get a paver stone or concrete patio one and done. i could never build a deck even with the door show and rain would back up nd in
We thought about that but talked to some around here that have them and they get cracks. We have very sandy soil............not sure that make a dif but we do. It would cost more anyways. Going w/the cheaper and already set up for the same kind of deck so all is good!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Had some time on my hands, so I've been doing a huge flight in Microsoft Flight Simulator. I started in Tucson, Arizona yesterday and I'm currently in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. I do about an hour and a half at a time. My aircraft of choice is a DC-3 painted like a C-47. I've made stops in Monument Valley, Aspen Colorado, Casper Wyoming, and now as I said in Jackson Hole. I've been keeping track of my route. I have no ultimate destination, I just decide at the start of each leg which direction I feel like going and then find an airport in that direction 1 to 1.5 hours away.

DC3Journey.jpg

Monument Valley
monumentvalley.jpg

Nearing Aspen as the sun sets and the moon rises
Microsoft Flight Simulator-2023_11_27-23_56_08.jpg

At Jackson Hole airport, with the Grand Teton mountain range in the background
Microsoft Flight Simulator-2023_11_28-23_14_24 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Had some time on my hands, so I've been doing a huge flight in Microsoft Flight Simulator. I started in Tucson, Arizona yesterday and I'm currently in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. I do about an hour and a half at a time. My aircraft of choice is a DC-3 painted like a C-47. I've made stops in Monument Valley, Aspen Colorado, Casper Wyoming, and now as I said in Jackson Hole. I've been keeping track of my route. I have no ultimate destination, I just decide at the start of each leg which direction I feel like going and then find an airport in that direction 1 to 1.5 hours away.

View attachment 161434

Monument Valley

Nearing Aspen as the sun sets and the moon rises

At Jackson Hole airport, with the Grand Teton mountain range in the background
is it just me or does your route map look like the Big Dipper?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My Flight Sim journey has continued. :)

On my most recent segment, I flew past Vancouver, Seattle, Mount Rainier/Adams/St. Helens, and landed in Portland.

DC3Journey.jpg

Vancouver
Microsoft Flight Simulator-2023_11_30-16_21_04.jpg

Seattle
Microsoft Flight Simulator-2023_11_30-17_12_57.jpg

Mount Rainier
Microsoft Flight Simulator-2023_11_30-17_47_08.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I escaped this week to St. Michaels. Need it after doing a complete redo of
Our den which is the room where we keep kitty litter boxes. Replaced oak roll top desk with a smaller version, patched, sanded and repainted walls with a different color. New floor installed. Now 2 more rooms to do. Hopefully by time I get home tomorrow the oak roll top will be gone. Its been great sitting and doing nothing for 3 days!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My plan for today is to clean out all the flowerbeds and get them ready for planting next Spring
It's amazing how the yard has changed after only a couple of frosts....3 days ago I had flowers everywhere, now everything looks dead View attachment 105793 I can't leave it like this, I need to clean it all out!...and the kids are helping hubby and I, whether they like it or not, if they wanna eat tonightView attachment 105794

Whatcha doing today?
HOW OLD ARE THE KIDS.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A and 7B
Country
United States
Working on an old cedar chest.

The top needs a cleaning and polishing.

And ... one of legs/wheel thing needs to be reattached.

I am also reinforcing all four wheel blocks with brass screws and collars from the interior of the chest.

See below:

IMG_20231201_085246.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20231201_085246.jpg
    IMG_20231201_085246.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 7

Ask a Question