Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Working on an old cedar chest.

The top needs a cleaning and polishing.

And ... one of legs/wheel thing needs to be reattached.

I am also reinforcing all four wheel blocks with brass screws and collars from the interior of the chest.

See below:

View attachment 161481
It's quite fun and extremely gratifying when you take on a project like this and it turns out so nice!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A and 7B
Country
United States
It's quite fun and extremely gratifying when you take on a project like this and it turns out so nice!

Yes ... and thank you. But as you can see, my living room is taking the brunt of the mess and disruption associated with this project. I'll be relieved to hand this chest off to its recipient later this week ... and restore some order.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes ... and thank you. But as you can see, my living room is taking the brunt of the mess and disruption associated with this project. I'll be relieved to hand this chest off to its recipient later this week ... and restore some order.
I LOVE RESTORING OLD CHESTS . both to as close to original as can be , putting a twist on them or a simple clean up . sounds like x mass gift.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A and 7B
Country
United States
I LOVE RESTORING OLD CHESTS . both to as close to original as can be , putting a twist on them or a simple clean up . sounds like x mass gift.

Yes, this has been a heartening task. I am trying to find its provenance. It has none of the Lane markings. I am thinking that it was made by a solo craftsman.

I did not tinker with it too much ... I just reattached the leg with wheel mechanism and some molding. Removed some of the bubbled finish with XXXX steel wool, shined it with a fine cabinet wax ..... and put four brass wood screws through bottom of chest into the wheel blocks.

Yes, it is a present for family member. It is so heavy ... I dread lifting it into my old Volvo wagon.

This chest's unique feature is/are the two heavy duty copper handles at each end.

It has little "scoops" on the front for positioning your fingers when opening and closing ... to prevent a huge pinch.

I'll do an updated photo maybe tomorrow and include the interior.

Thanks.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I finished my long journey on Flight Sim a couple days ago. I ended up going down to Mexico and then back to where I started the flight in Tucson. The whole thing was around 4,000 miles.
DC3Journey.jpg

And, as a gamer I'm super excited about the new Grand Theft Auto trailer. Most people will be excited for the cars and missions, but I'm just excited to see all the wildlife and general exploring. It takes place in a fictionalized version of southern Florida. Lots of wildlife seem to be in the game. Flamingos, cranes, gators, deer, ducks, pelicans, dolphins, sharks, sea turtles, etc. have all been seen in the trailer for the game. Here's a few screenshots from the trailer, and you can see why I'm excited for it. I love games that are fun to explore, which I'm sure you all have picked up on in the past.

gtavi.jpg

GTA3.jpg

GTA1.jpg

GTA2.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A and 7B
Country
United States
Updated pics of cedar chest restoration:

IMG_20231206_154334.jpg
IMG_20231206_154409.jpg
IMG_20231206_155144.jpg

If you enlarge the third pic ... and look at interior corner, you can see that I have reinforced the wheelblocks from within by using brass wood screws. I used decorative brass washers around each one ... and the brass goes well with the rest of the hardware.

Cheers !!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A and 7B
Country
United States
I forgot to include this.

My local old school hardware store sells it now that S.C. Johnson discontinued its paste wax:

IMG_20231206_165154.jpg

It's called "Citrus Shield" by Howard.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good find cedar chests are hard to come by. they are usually at the foot of someone's bed

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Rough way to start the day . Makes me jealous of @Jhn working on the water everyday .But I also know the price to be paid on less favorable mornings

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I found that putting the wrap ontop of my joists under my deck really does work . It was worth the cost . Not sure they sell it anymore . I put gravel under my decks and front porch . Only one deck is really close to the ground so when it was built I dug down 2 feet filled with gravel and put drainage pipe in to catch water and dump it into the side yard .I also put in more concrete piers than called for . I put down 3 drain pipes under the ground and had to dig 80 feet to the side yard to run water away from the house foundation . But I was alot younger than , now not sure i would do that . I was 50 when I did that . I did that also with all my gutter pipes on my house . Added the underground tank that holds the water so I can use it to water my yard and plants during the dry season .Put lots of rock that i picked up off the property to fill in to help waterflow also . All that work back then has paid off in the long run . There is a large creek across the road from my property and I don't want my water going there during heavy rains . I want it for me .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
JW I would worry about the rim joists on your house and that water that could rot it and also cause termite or ant problems . I would hope they are pressure treated . Water can also rot the bottom of the door frame . That is what happened to my nighbors Bill and Jane . They found out after they bought the house that the whole deck was rotted and had gone back into the rim joist and also rotted out the door frames at the bottom . It has cost them lots of money and time to repair all the damage . The first owner of the house after it was built did all the work and Dallas did not do the work right . Insulation is your friend and he added none to the sun room addition he added also . I told them that there were alot of things Dallas did not do right .At least in my opinion . I talked to him several times during the build because he would ask for my help unloading or moving things . Gosh Jane and Bill did not even know the owned the empty lot next door . I gave them the lot plans for the whole developement . I bought when there was only 6 houses here . 2 going up as I was putting my modular house up . Modulars set price no overruns in cost and not subjected to weather delays or house getting wet inside as it is being built .I was told a price and house was built in 10 days and delivered and 2 cranes set it on the basement . Well after a delay because of basement contractor did not start the job when he was told too . He was told that it had to be done fast and right . Well I took over the job when i came down and it got done . But took and extra 2 weeks . He had a whole month and a half to do the basement . He had the house plans back then and size

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
JW I would worry about the rim joists on your house and that water that could rot it and also cause termite or ant problems . I would hope they are pressure treated . Water can also rot the bottom of the door frame . That is what happened to my nighbors Bill and Jane . They found out after they bought the house that the whole deck was rotted and had gone back into the rim joist and also rotted out the door frames at the bottom . It has cost them lots of money and time to repair all the damage . The first owner of the house after it was built did all the work and Dallas did not do the work right . Insulation is your friend and he added none to the sun room addition he added also . I told them that there were alot of things Dallas did not do right .At least in my opinion . I talked to him several times during the build because he would ask for my help unloading or moving things . Gosh Jane and Bill did not even know the owned the empty lot next door . I gave them the lot plans for the whole developement . I bought when there was only 6 houses here . 2 going up as I was putting my modular house up . Modulars set price no overruns in cost and not subjected to weather delays or house getting wet inside as it is being built .I was told a price and house was built in 10 days and delivered and 2 cranes set it on the basement . Well after a delay because of basement contractor did not start the job when he was told too . He was told that it had to be done fast and right . Well I took over the job when i came down and it got done . But took and extra 2 weeks . He had a whole month and a half to do the basement . He had the house plans back then and size
Our deck is not right on the ground so slider door is up high also. It is up a foot or more. Also has an eyebrow off the roof that somewhat protects wood up against the house. The only thing that was rotting was the old wood board decks over 20 yrs old and the bottom of one post on one end of the deck. He replaced that post. My hubby has done a lot of research to make sure he is doing it the best way possible and yes using pressure treated wood. He's doing a great job. I'll take some photo's to show you and post them in the wathcha doing today thread so as not to take up @GBBUDD 's spot here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can always ask @addy1 to move it over there or our new leader @snagglepuss

Ask a Question