sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I contacted a place in martinsville va and she told me she would have some one get me a medicine that will put them asleep so I can crate them and they will fix them for free if I take them back after and I told her I would and set her pics of the insulated house I put under my front porch for them .It took me almost a week to build it and used a piece of rubber epdm pond liner as a door

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
672030D3-5977-4A34-9E63-E32B318E690B.jpeg
On a better note, mostly, since I’m having to downsize my pond, and move it to a more secure location, I’m sorting through all the baby fish. I’ve got some beauties. Some are almost bronze, a throwback to carp ancestors I guess, they mostly seem to have very long flowey tails, like an almost metallic skin under the brown/blackish color. I’ll keep the best of those, just to see how it grows up. White with orange markings. Orange with a white dot. Here’s a few pics! I’ll keep my best and sell the rest, if I can. I’ve posted them on my local fb page and on Craigslist.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
do you have a local garden center to post on that is much safer than craigslist

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Load of firewood delivered. Unfortunately they dumped it directly onto the driveway so tossing it into the side yard . Tomorrow finish tossing and then start stacking on racks.
20180925_152348.jpg
20180925_152343.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
do you have a local garden center to post on that is much safer than craigslist
I’ve got a guy looking for barn cats who contacted me. At this point, they are doomed if I leave them outside, and I can’t be picky. Or were you talking about fish? I’m asking $1 each for the pond quality, and giving away bait quality ones.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
fish ,I got bait quality ones at the koi farm and they turned from the ugly ducklings to the prettiest fancy tail fish ever .I was surprised when the tails kept growing and growing and so did the fins .T
100_4566.JPG
hey were only about an inch long and paid a dollar for them because they said they were ugly fish .Well they are not now

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Feeding the bees today, our two queenless hives are now queen right! YEAH

I hate yellow jackets................. feeding our bees, one of those suckers crawls through the two layers of my bee suit and stings the poo out of my back! It was going for another sting when I ripped off my suit and squished it! Darn thing hurts!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are horrible right now, swarming the hives trying to steal nectar/honey. We have the hives locked down to small entrances to protect the bees from them.
One bug I totally hate.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
They are in their really mean stages now that they are going to be hibernating or whatever they do in the winter. I watch out for them now and try to avoid them. You look at them wrong and they will come after you!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I hadn't seen any until yesterday. The new firewood was covered with yellow jackets. Now all the hummingbird feeders are covered as well. I need to find the nest before hubby has to mow again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
2o yrs. ago I was watering my flower bed just before dusk. I had no idea there was a nest of those devils in the ground where I was watering. They came out of it, stung my legs about 20 places and I was in pure misery for weeks after. My husband went out when he heard me screaming and he got stung too, then got even with them. When they all entered their nest at dark, he poured gasoline down the hole and threw a match. They got what they deserved. Only fireants are close in pain. Hope you get over the pain soon Addy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hope you don't too bad of a reaction to the stings @addy1, my poor husband takes a terrible reaction to yellow jacket stings, so does one of our kids. Myself and our other two kids barely have any reaction after the initial sting, depends on the person I suppose. Are you going to track down the yellow jackets?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh @addy1 ! I feel your pain! This is the first year in as many as I can remember when I haven't been stung at least once - KNOCK ON WOOD! Every time I get stung I swell up worse than the last time. The last time I got stung right about my lip - my husband was about ready to call 911 when the Benadryl finally kicked in.

@BarbO - I had a similar experience about 25 years ago - I mowed over a nest in the ground that I didn't know was even there. They swarmed up my leg and I got stung about 30 times. My leg was paralyzed from the knee down for several weeks. I was only glad that my kids hadn't stumbled on the nest before I found it. My dad did the same as your husband - he came with a gas can, filled the hole and tossed a match in. I wish I could have heard them scream as they all died.

I'm with @addy1 - the one insect I cannot tolerate.

Ask a Question