What's Your Favorite Pond Plant?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I had 2 lotus plants. Kept them in barrels beside the pond. Loved them, they are beautiful plants. But, since they don't over winter here, I didn't get any more after that one year. They were awfully pretty tho.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
My favorite pond plant is my 22 year old Yellow flag water iris. The clump has been divided many many times over the past years, and it is very hardy and survived the harshest winters and is the first plant that comes backin the early spring. If I could only have one plant, it would have to be my yellow flag. It is not potted any any soil, it is just a massive root ball that floats naturally in almost three feet of water!
IMAG9717.jpg
IMAG9746.jpg

The yellow flag water iris blooms faithfully every spring, with hundeds of blooms, and hands down, it is the best filter you can have for your pond. The yellow Flag water iris is a true water iris, one of the most powerful sedges for cleaning the pond, and can grow to almost six feet tall! My pond has crystal clear water all the time, never get green water or cloudy water. This plant is an aggressive grower and the beauty about that is you can have big monster koi who can not defeat and kill off this plant. You need no soil so the koi cannot muck up the pond, and you need no shelf, just anchor a big clump to the side of the pond with string till it gets established, and in just two seasons you can have a big clump. This plant also provides a good winter home for my fish during the winter months, because it floats, the koi can swim under the plant during the winter months, and sleep away the winter in the long soft flowing roots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Very pretty. I have a barrel of them in my pond. Wish the blooms would last longer. And your beads in the background .... AWESOME !!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
My favorite pond plant is my 22 year old Yellow flag water iris. The clump has been divided many many times over the past years, and it is very hardy and survived the harshest winters and is the first plant that comes backin the early spring. If I could only have one plant, it would have to be my yellow flag. It is not potted any any soil, it is just a massive root ball that floats naturally in almost three feet of water!View attachment 67327View attachment 67328
The yellow flag water iris blooms faithfully every spring, with hundeds of blooms, and hands down, it is the best filter you can have for your pond. The yellow Flag water iris is a true water iris, one of the most powerful sedges for cleaning the pond, and can grow to almost six feet tall! My pond has crystal clear water all the time, never get green water or cloudy water. This plant is an aggressive grower and the beauty about that is you can have big monster koi who can not defeat and kill off this plant. You need no soil so the koi cannot muck up the pond, and you need no shelf, just anchor a big clump to the side of the pond with string till it gets established, and in just two seasons you can have a big clump. This plant also provides a good winter home for my fish during the winter months, because it floats, the koi can swim under the plant during the winter months, and sleep away the winter in the long soft flowing roots.
Now this is what I love about the non formal pond it just seems to evolve its totally you well done :)

Dave;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I dont have a picture for it but I love my 4-leaf water clover. I got it last year, it took off but not as good as the other plants that I had in that small nature pond of mine. This year I thought it ssurely dead coz the whole pond was ice but I saw new growth already.

Also crockscrew plant

And the pitcher plants
IMG_0477.JPG

IMG_1570.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice pitcher plants, sure hope mine come back this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I went to Lowes and bought a Pitcher Plant to put in my bog when it warms up. Yours look really nice.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I just LOVE Pitcher plants!! But they do not grow well in my pond, I even had the hardy type, but no success with them. In the summer our weather can be dry and hot, and I think they like it hot and sticky, but the dry hot winds do them in here I think.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks :) I love the carniverous plants, especially nepenthes but I just never got it growing right so I turned my attention to the NC local pitcher plants and I have them for 4 years now, in the small pot (no hole) then it got to the point of getting way too big for the pot so I bought a bigger pot for them. I just leave it outside all year, keep the pot filled with water all year too. they just took off by themself.

Their roots are very very strong. I tried to divide them and I couldnt even pull a small part out from the peat moss! I have one clump in my nature pond and it's doing fine. I only have to be careful not to get the crown wet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I wish I could have more sun near my pond so I can have all sort of lilys. The canna are so pretty and big!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am torn between Canna lilies, Bald Cypress and Papyrus. Between the three I the probably the Bald Cypress only because it comes back every year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Colleen yellow flag iris is definitely on my plant to get list this spring.
Waterbug can cannas be planted directly in some water or are yours right next to your stream?

Ask a Question