JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

good point. Here in Wisconsin it is legal but they have proposed to ban it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oooh, very good question. I haven't been a ponder long enough to have a favorite -- not enough experience with anything so far. Will be starting up a bog this season, so maybe I can start to appreciate the benefits & beauty of the individual plants. Have a few "baby" plants that I've been collecting and a few that are still to be shipped.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I have a love/hate relationship with cotton grass! I know it requires acidic conditions, but in spite of all my efforts, I could never get it to bloom or even survive for long. Less than a mile north of our house there is a peat bog of 6 - 8 acres, with LOTS of cotton grass, thriving and blooming year after year, so it can't be the climate. One of these days I shall build a larger bog beside the pond, fill it with sphagnum moss, and try again!
John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a love/hate relationship with cotton grass! I know it requires acidic conditions, but in spite of all my efforts, I could never get it to bloom or even survive for long. Less than a mile north of our house there is a peat bog of 6 - 8 acres, with LOTS of cotton grass, thriving and blooming year after year, so it can't be the climate. One of these days I shall build a larger bog beside the pond, fill it with sphagnum moss, and try again!
John

Buy bags of peat from a store, (I use canadian peat) that is what I planted my carnivorous plants in, they do great. It stays nice and acidic.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I've tried it, but only in smaller containers, and the results are always disapointing. We get broken bags, or rather bales, of peat moss at the garden center that I can buy for next to nothing, so I'm thinking about an old pond liner with a few holes in the bottom, in a depression about 3' by 6' by a foot or so deep. Pink Ladies' Slippers also grow in the peat bog, and I'd like to try some type of pitcher plant. Maybe once the snow is gone?
John

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a (I think 9x12 ) home depot tarp with around 6 inches of 1/2 peat 1/2 sand on top of it. I did not put any holes in it, since it is on a hill, full hot sun it dries out real easy.
the plants love it! Carnivorous plants do not have deep roots.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Mine would be at the overflow end of the pond, so I was wondering about it getting TOO wet after a heavy rain. I could raise the whole thing slightly to give me about 4 - 5" of unsaturated peat, while moisture would still wick up into it. Seeing your pictures makes me all the more determined to work something out!
John

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I soak the heck out of mine, like floating in water, then let it dry out. We have had real wet summers, dry summers etc. The only time they suffered was a dry summer and someone forgot to water them. i.e. me. They do like a real wet then dry then real wet cycle. But do ok as always wettish.

Mine is in full hot sun at the top of our slope, right below the house, next to the pond stream.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I love corkscrew rush.

But my Evening Showers lotus just took my breath away. Once I saw the flower bud, it was almost a moment by moment wait for the bloom.
lotusbud3this.jpg

080113eveningshowerslotus2.jpg

Ask a Question