When do you fertilize your lilies and other pond plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I think we have had our last frost here. Is this a good time to fertilize? Or should I wait for the temps to get much warmer? (Our daytime temps are averaging in the 70s with some low 80s.)
I want to encourage the lilies to grow, so they can provide some cover for the fish.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I fertilize as soon as I feel like dealing with the cold water, quite often I do it in the fall. The lilies don't care. I just use osmocote.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm thinking of using pond tabs for th pots that don't need to be groomed. For the pots that require splitting etc, I use osamacote also.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm thinking of using pond tabs for th pots that don't need to be groomed. For the pots that require splitting etc, I use osamacote also.
I just pull the lily up a bit, dump the osmocote in the bottom done. I have pond tabs, just don't use in the big pond, need to wade in to add. I do use them in the stock tank, ex hot tub pond, lilies. Can just reach down and stick in. Need to pull those plants out and add litter, they got a quick dump into that pond mid winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have the big fertilizer spikes - they are easy peasy to just stick down in the pot. Once the weather warms a little more, I will wade in. I want to get in there anyway, to stir up the crud and let the intake bay pull it in (intake bay lined with some quilt batting.). That is always a gross but fun job and the fish love it!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@addy1 every time you say you just "pull the lily up a bit" I think HOW? In a single season my lilies will absolutely and completely fill the pot. I can barely stick a finger into the dirt, let alone pull them out. When I get them out to divide them, I have to sacrifice the pot.

It's a mystery!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I just take some fertilizer and stick my finger down as far as I can to loosen the kitty litter, then put osmocote in a small piece of paper towel and shove it down in there. If it's a tab I just shove it down w/o the paper. Same w/a spike. I do it through the Spring and Summer months once a month. Lilies love lots of fert!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1 every time you say you just "pull the lily up a bit" I think HOW? In a single season my lilies will absolutely and completely fill the pot. I can barely stick a finger into the dirt, let alone pull them out. When I get them out to divide them, I have to sacrifice the pot.

It's a mystery!
They are in oil pans. I can just lift them up from a edge. I add litter if needed. If there are too many tubers they get cut off. I don't try to stick my finger in the root mass/dirt.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh and to answer the actual question - I've done it many ways. Once for the season, weekly, every other week, whenever I remember... all seem to work just fine. I've never really noticed a remarkable difference from sticking to a schedule to the "whoops! Forgot! Better get it done today!" method!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've never really noticed a remarkable difference from sticking to a schedule to the "whoops! Forgot! Better get it done today!" method!
Me either, get it done when I get it done. Last year added none and they did fine

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I had a pea soup algae bloom last spring so didn’t fertilize, and they did fine. I think feeding the fish and the resulting ammonia is plenty for my little pond. They have lots of new leaves already.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ideally, I usually fertilize beginning of June, July, and August.
I say ideally because some years I'm lazy and I only get around to it once or twice.

Ask a Question