Where to get flat rocks that can be lifted?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We have rock yards here that supply all types of rock, brick, stone, etc. Generally you buy by the pallet - so no choosing individual stones - and have it delivered to the site, but they also have bins of odds and ends that you can pick through if you are looking for particular shapes or sizes. One of my favorite places to "window shop"!
My situation is similar, and this is about the only way I can obtain rocks. We don't have "natural" rocks where I live. Yes, I go crazy at the "rock store!"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
We got lots of nice smaller pieces of the silver mist at the garden center's final sales day. I think there's enough to surround the waterfall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
I forgot to mention that I pressure wash and polish all the rocks I put in the bottom of my pond to bring out all the color and patterns on them. If the rocks are too big to lift you can get a small hammer and tap the rock along a line where you want it to break and after a little tapping it will crack along the line you made. Also by breaking the rock you expose some beautiful patterns on the inside and you will be the first human to have ever seen that part of the rock too ;)

Don't the rocks on your pond's bottom get covered in algae? The clueless guy - the first one to rebuild the pond - put rocks in the bottom...which the second pond builder (the good one) removed and put around the pond, which was fine.

I like the idea of breaking the bigger pieces to make them manageable. TY for the idea.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Don't the rocks on your pond's bottom get covered in algae? The clueless guy - the first one to rebuild the pond - put rocks in the bottom...which the second pond builder (the good one) removed and put around the pond, which was fine.

I like the idea of breaking the bigger pieces to make them manageable. TY for the idea.
If they have a polished surface you can simply push the algae off with a squeegee when cleaning time comes around. Although algae is a given and is needed for a truly healthy ecosystem it is not needed on every surface so that is one thought to keep in mind. Plus I have noticed the algae does not grow very fast on the polished surface like it does on say the other 99% of every surface in the pond lol ;)

Ask a Question