Which pond vac/muck vac should I buy

Reaction score
I have a OASE pondovac - it works really well, not inexpensive mind you, but does suck up the rubbish.

My biggest complaint is it only holds 25ltrs of water before it switches off to empty which in some cases isn't on for very long at all and the dirty water left in the pipe then flows back into the pond stirring it up a bit (I find the attachment with the valve to stop this happening prevents the larger items of debris of being sucked up).

But on the whole I wouldn't be without it.

Reaction score
Mayfly said:
I have a OASE pondovac - it works really well, not inexpensive mind you, but does suck up the rubbish.

My biggest complaint is it only holds 25ltrs of water before it switches off to empty which in some cases isn't on for very long at all and the dirty water left in the pipe then flows back into the pond stirring it up a bit (I find the attachment with the valve to stop this happening prevents the larger items of debris of being sucked up).

But on the whole I wouldn't be without it.

That's interesting. I didn't know it stopped sucking when it returned the water to the pond. I thought it was continuious in and out.
Well, It's shop vac time today. I just have to go and buy a small attachment. I'm also going to return that syphon thing today.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
mikeinpgh said:
That's interesting. I didn't know it stopped sucking when it returned the water to the pond. I thought it was continuious in and out.
Well, It's shop vac time today. I just have to go and buy a small attachment. I'm also going to return that syphon thing today.

Mike that might be an older one, the one I have has two chambers so when the one is full and it switches to the other there is a slight pause in the sucking and some water will start to fall back into the pond via the hose, but it is minimal on mine. When I am using mine I have to pull it out the pond every so often to clear the muck in the hose because it does become clogged.

Reaction score
I could well be the older one I have had for about 4 years now - sorry if I miss led you - but as I said I wouldn't be without it.

Reaction score
You guys use a regular ole shop vac? I thought those were designed to suck just a little water, not have the nozzle stuck in 4' of water... Maybe I will try mine...if I don't post anymore, know I was electrocuted...lol

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Olee said:
You guys use a regular ole shop vac? I thought those were designed to suck just a little water, not have the nozzle stuck in 4' of water... Maybe I will try mine...if I don't post anymore, know I was electrocuted...lol

Heaven forbid that from happening.......................but hey that statement had me cracking up Olee..........sorry if it is at your expense :nono:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
mikeinpgh said:
I like the shop vac idea because I already have one, but I would have to empty it every 2 minutes. The price is right though.
I just might break down and buy the pond o vac, but that's really not in my buget($350-$400)
Anyother ideas?
Thanks for the replies,
Mike

This attachment from sears empties your vac
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...21x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=00916952000P

This works great, drains the vac and shoots the junk many feet from the pond. I aim it at my plants.

Reaction score
Olee said:

Be sure to plug into a GFI outlet.

The pond o vac seems to be the best, but I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money.

The shop vac worked pretty good. I used an attachment that reduced the hose down to a 1/2". I think 1/2" is too small though. I'm going to try maybe 1" or 1-1/2". The only hard part is trying to suck up string algae when it's stuck to a rock.

Thanks for all of the replies,
Mike

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Glad to see your having some mixed results. I think the diameter of the pond o vac hose is 1.5" but I can't be 100% sure.

Reaction score
I lived through the experience! It only lasted 20 seconds, then I had to shut off to drain it.....seemed like it would take forever, so I am looking for a dedicated pond vac again.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you add a hose to the outlet on your shop vac you can empty it as your filling it I sometimes put the outflow hose in a laundry basket with batting in it and put some of the water back in my pond .If you clean the pond every 2 months it is a lot less work

Reaction score
I'm trying to keep the diameter as small as possible so the vac doesn't fill up too fast.
I think if you open the drain while the vac is on it will draw a suction through the drain hole. There's a video on youtube, where a guy attached a back flow preventer to the drain. When he shut off the vac it would start emptying automaticlly.

Off of the subject I bought some tadpoles yesterday. They are pretty cool. Now I just have to watch I don't suck them up LOL.
Thanks,
Mike

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
mikeinpgh said:
I'm trying to keep the diameter as small as possible so the vac doesn't fill up too fast.
I think if you open the drain while the vac is on it will draw a suction through the drain hole. There's a video on youtube, where a guy attached a back flow preventer to the drain. When he shut off the vac it would start emptying automaticlly.

Off of the subject I bought some tadpoles yesterday. They are pretty cool. Now I just have to watch I don't suck them up LOL.
Thanks,
Mike

Mike if you want to do a comparison test between the pond o vac and shop vac you can come down to Cincinnati and use my pond o vac to clean my pond. :lol:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ok I've heard some good ones but that is really good and sneaky

Reaction score
I tried the Pond Monsta (purchased at Lowes), I am returning it this morning. It seems like a great concept and with a few changes would probably work really well. Biggest problem I experienced is that it is heavy. The pump is located at the end of the pole that goes in the water. I am a reatively big guy and this thing was difficult to work with. No way a woman (like the one pictured on the box) could handle this thing with a smile on her face. I did like the idea of using the filler bag. For the 10 minutes I used it (took 30 minutes to assemble) it worked well, allowing me to take the junk out of the bag and place it in my veggie garden. The weight issue and being difficult to move around is a greater concern though, so back it goes...

Still looking for a good vac system.

Ask a Question