Why do Koi jump

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Found my 13" Koi 15' from the pond. Looks like he jumped out over the 10" high edge 2' wide. Was a nice solid orange with long fins.
Noticed 1 Koi looked like it was spawning with 2 others all over her, but none of the where the one that jumped out. Had the pond for 1 1/2 years, first time one jumped out.:(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Spawning will definitely do it, but some fish are just jumpers. We had one that used to try to throw herself out of the pond if we dropped any food within 6 feet of the edge. She would also leap up into our floating island if there was food... essentially she was a food hound!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My Gracie has always been a jumper. No reason, she just likes to jump. She is around 12-13 years old, still jumps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
They also jump to catch bugs. But yeah, some just like to jump! I have one goldfish that doesn't just suck in the food on the surface like the others, shell dart up grabbing the food and break water. It's funny.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
No, he was dry and stiff when I saw him this morning. Last saw him at 10:30 last night. Never thought it would bother me loosing a fish.

Ask a Question