Will a turtle puncture my liner?

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is a really old thread but...
I have never seen an alligator snapper kept indoors in anything other than a stock tank. In every case, it was strictly for rehab purposes and not as a long-term home. Are you providing the turtle a safe haven while it heals?
Oh, he's perfectly healthy! The stock tank I've been using is too small so I decided to build a plywood 'pond' for him. He actually punctured the two liners with his claws which really surprised me with the 45 mil Firestone liner! His shell is a bit over 8" in length so he's not that big yet. Yesterday I got a 110 gallon stock tank to give him more room for now. At some point, I'm going to try the indoor pond idea again, probably with liquid pond rubber reinforced with fiberglass cloth. Thanks.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh, he's perfectly healthy! The stock tank I've been using is too small so I decided to build a plywood 'pond' for him. He actually punctured the two liners with his claws which really surprised me with the 45 mil Firestone liner! His shell is a bit over 8" in length so he's not that big yet. Yesterday I got a 110 gallon stock tank to give him more room for now. At some point, I'm going to try the indoor pond idea again, probably with liquid pond rubber reinforced with fiberglass cloth. Thanks.
Don't they get really large and somewhat dangerous to your limbs w/that powerful jaw? Will he ever be able to go into the wild? What does he eat? Would love to see pictures of him and all that you are doing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
They do get quite large but it takes a long time for them to get there. We got him as a hatchling at a reptile show a few years ago. He used to eat pellets when he was small but now he only eats shrimp and fish. My setup right now is nothing fancy, I just want to get him in a larger home. Like I said, I got a 110 gal stock tank yesterday. I'm trying to get it setup so he can go in it later today and I'll see if I can post a couple pics later.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
They do get quite large but it takes a long time for them to get there. We got him as a hatchling at a reptile show a few years ago. He used to eat pellets when he was small but now he only eats shrimp and fish. My setup right now is nothing fancy, I just want to get him in a larger home. Like I said, I got a 110 gal stock tank yesterday. I'm trying to get it setup so he can go in it later today and I'll see if I can post a couple pics later.
I just learned some from this site and guess if you raised him from a hatchling you cannot release him as he prolly won't survive out there according to this site anyways. https://pethelpful.com/reptiles-amphibians/How-to-Care-for-Baby-Snapping-Turtles

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What ever product you use you have to make sure it has nothing to get it's beak onto you could do ply wood with a fiberglass coating or even i fully adheared epdm to the
damn thing eats better than i do . if i look my nastiest and snap at yea can i live there too?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It was a big lesson learned for me. I have a five feet deep koi pond. It was rebuilt about five years ago with Firestone 45 mil Pondgard liner. Two months ago, the water level kept dropping, 5 inch a day. I looked ant every pipe and system and found nothing wrong. Two weeks ago, I decided to have a contractor to do the pressure test. Every single pipe was in a good condition, no leaks. The contractor drained the pond and checked the bottom drains and air pipes. They were good. We filled the pond. The leak got much worse, over one foot dropped within 24 hrs. We drained the pond again and checked the liner carefully. We found lot of tiny grooves on the line. Absolutely they looked like someone scratched the liner with a very sharp knife. Many grooves became a small holes. We thought the koi ate the liner. We all know Koi’s teeth are very behind the mouth. Guess what, I remember that there was a box turtle in the pond two years ago. Since my pond is very steep and deep. The turtle couldn’t get out the point. It must struggle in the pond for a long time and tried to get out. Other than the turtle, I can’t think of any other reasons. I have the koi pond for over 20 years. This was the first time for me and my contractor to see such a thing. Now, I have to rebuild it again. Turtle can damages your liner!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The wrong turtle could absolutely destroy a epdm . Snapping turtle could easily bit right through it or even scratch its way . iF you ever had the pleasure to watch a pair during mating season it's down right barbaric. Now take alligator snappers claws or beak could al so do the job . Now box turtles aren't exactly aggressive But any trapped animal will fight for its life

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
It was a big lesson learned for me. I have a five feet deep koi pond. It was rebuilt about five years ago with Firestone 45 mil Pondgard liner. Two months ago, the water level kept dropping, 5 inch a day. I looked ant every pipe and system and found nothing wrong. Two weeks ago, I decided to have a contractor to do the pressure test. Every single pipe was in a good condition, no leaks. The contractor drained the pond and checked the bottom drains and air pipes. They were good. We filled the pond. The leak got much worse, over one foot dropped within 24 hrs. We drained the pond again and checked the liner carefully. We found lot of tiny grooves on the line. Absolutely they looked like someone scratched the liner with a very sharp knife. Many grooves became a small holes. We thought the koi ate the liner. We all know Koi’s teeth are very behind the mouth. Guess what, I remember that there was a box turtle in the pond two years ago. Since my pond is very steep and deep. The turtle couldn’t get out the point. It must struggle in the pond for a long time and tried to get out. Other than the turtle, I can’t think of any other reasons. I have the koi pond for over 20 years. This was the first time for me and my contractor to see such a thing. Now, I have to rebuild it again. Turtle can damages your liner!

I just learned some from this site and guess if you raised him from a hatchling you cannot release him as he prolly won't survive out there according to this site anyways. https://pethelpful.com/reptiles-amphibians/How-to-Care-for-Baby-Snapping-Tu

Don't they get really large and somewhat dangerous to your limbs w/that powerful jaw? Will he ever be able to go into the wild? What does he eat? Would love to see pictures of him and all that you are doing.
I just looked at this thread because someone posted to it... My AST is doing great and I did post a short clip feeding him on YT.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have some really big snappers in our common area ponds. They're rather tame from being fed lots of hot dogs and bread over the years. They'll follow you along the path, hoping you maybe have some delicious treats.

One day we were walking around the ponds and saw two boys about 10 years old watching a really rambunctious mating event going on just off the shore. They were wondering what could possibly be happening and "maybe we should wade out and see if they need help!"

We assured them they were doing just fine on their own and warned them to never get between two snappers in love.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have some really big snappers in our common area ponds. They're rather tame from being fed lots of hot dogs and bread over the years. They'll follow you along the path, hoping you maybe have some delicious treats.

One day we were walking around the ponds and saw two boys about 10 years old watching a really rambunctious mating event going on just off the shore. They were wondering what could possibly be happening and "maybe we should wade out and see if they need help!"

We assured them they were doing just fine on their own and warned them to never get between two snappers in love.
in my experience never get between any species that are making whoopie. it will hurt or at a minimum you'll be hightailing it out of there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
One of our maintenance guys at work was trying to chase a deer off the property yesterday. He was a bit surprised when the deer turned on him... it's the rut my friend. Deer get cray cray!

Reaction score
Country
United States
The wrong turtle could absolutely destroy a epdm . Snapping turtle could easily bit right through it or even scratch its way . iF you ever had the pleasure to watch a pair during mating season it's down right barbaric. Now take alligator snappers claws or beak could al so do the job . Now box turtles aren't exactly aggressive But any trapped animal will fight for its life
Yes, AST's have REALLY big, sharp claws. Your pond is awesome! You must spend quite a bit of time maintaining the area. If I let mine go too long it's a tough job to get it back in shape.

My turtle:

Attachments

• IMG_2023-10-28-11-44-03-264.jpg
    IMG_2023-10-28-11-44-03-264.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2023-10-28-11-44-36-117.jpg
    IMG_2023-10-28-11-44-36-117.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2023-10-28-11-44-19-303.jpg
    IMG_2023-10-28-11-44-19-303.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You don't have to start from scratch. If you found the area that was destroyed you can install a patch any size need if it is epdm

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One of our maintenance guys at work was trying to chase a deer off the property yesterday. He was a bit surprised when the deer turned on him... it's the rut my friend. Deer get cray cray!
People think that if there are no antlers there's nothing to worry about with a deer. They couldn't be more wrong as they carry a hammer on the bottom of their feet and when they go back on the hind legs it's hammer time. Don't be there

Ask a Question