Will I have to have a pump in the tank?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Post some pictures! We love pictures!
This is the first one I did about a week ago. Has two small butterfly koi and two goldfish. They have been in 4 days now. They came up to eat yesterday and today. Beautiful little guys.

Attachments

• 0707180724.jpg
    0707180724.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 245
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Cool! You're going to have a garden of ponds!
I would love this if I can manage it. I have 5 acres mostly wooded so lots of room. I think I said that I have water snakes so I will have to watch out for them. Any ideals on this you guys?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
This is the first one I did about a week ago. Has two small butterfly koi and two goldfish. They have been in 4 days now. They came up to eat yesterday and today. Beautiful little guys.
King Tut! One of my faves

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@TXbrenda You have koi and goldfish in the tub pond? Personally, I might keep a small GF or 2 in there but not koi as well....especially if there is no pump or filtration. Koi need lots of room — lots of water. They will grow very fast and won’t do well in a small space.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@TXbrenda You have koi and goldfish in the tub pond? Personally, I might keep a small GF or 2 in there but not koi as well....especially if there is no pump or filtration. Koi need lots of room — lots of water. They will grow very fast and won’t do well in a small space.
Im workingon getting the big stock tank set up now. The koi are only 3 inches right now. They will go to the bigger one soon thank you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The koi will outgrow that pond real quick, you will need to make something bigger for them. Even the goldfish will out grow it, but at a slower rate.

Nice pond though.

Thanks its nice to have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just curious, though....how big is the larger tank?
It is a big water tank like you use for horses. 3ft deep, 6 x 2 1/2 ft. I had not thought about how fast the two koi would grow when I put them into the small pond I had made. This bigger one may not hold them very long either. So at that point I will have to find someone who has a big pond. Sadly.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I really wish they wouldn’t sell koi to people who don’t have the pond space. It’s unfair to the buyer and the fish. They start off sooooo tiny and soon they are giants. You aren’t the first one to learn this @TXbrenda - we hear it over and over on the forum. Maybe a bigger pond is in your future!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You are right about new pond people. I was told that fish dont outgrow their space. I knew this wasnt correct with all fish. Working hard on the bigger tank after your input. Thanks

Ask a Question