Will I have to have a pump in the tank?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@TXbrenda How much space do you have? Would it be at all possible for you to build a lined pond on your property? You obviously have the desire and the talent.
I cant because i flood here. Over the years, 35, i have had as much at 5 ft. I can rescue a few fish but a large pond the fish may end up in the bay . i did this when we first moved here. Caught some as the water went down. I also have water snakes. I have mire control over " tge small ones

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was told that fish dont outgrow their space.

The old myth persists, sadly. That would be like saying "get a baby elephant - it won't outgrow your house!"

I suppose it is possible to keep a fish in poor conditions, underfeed it, keep it malnourished and it won't reach it's full size potential. But that's hardly what any of us would want. And people who sell fish for a living should have the best interest of the animals at heart. Most people would never buy koi if they knew they understood the potential for growth. Goldfish and shubunkins make great pond fish - very pretty, friendly, and lively and they add much less stress to a pond.

Completely understand about the flooding situation - you're being a responsible pond owner, which we can all respect!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have the stock tank up and running.!! Now i can move my koi into it. Im giving it a few days to settle even though i have well water. Im hoping it will work out as well as the small one has. Now the goldfish have their own space. Ill post pictures in a few days. Thank you all for your help.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
I have the stock tank up and running.!! Now i can move my koi into it. Im giving it a few days to settle even though i have well water. Im hoping it will work out as well as the small one has. Now the goldfish have their own space. Ill post pictures in a few days. Thank you all for your help.
Is your soil stable enough to create a raised pond of some kind that would allow the flooding to move around it without washing the raised pond out? Also I would love 5 acres! Especially wooded!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Is your soil stable enough to create a raised pond of some kind that would allow the flooding to move around it without washing the raised pond out? Also I would love 5 acres! Especially wooded!
Tje only way to be safe would be to build walls. The water was over 5 ft. Here when harvey hit us. I knew one man who had hundreds kf huge koi that went jnto lake houston. Water was almost 20 ft where his ponds are. Sad to see them now all empty.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Tje only way to be safe would be to build walls. The water was over 5 ft. Here when harvey hit us. I knew one man who had hundreds kf huge koi that went jnto lake houston. Water was almost 20 ft where his ponds are. Sad to see them now all empty.
Ok so your in hurricane territory. What if you built it up with raised walls, and devise a way to secure a stronger mesh/net over the top so in the event of excessive flooding you could attach it to keep fish in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok so your in hurricane territory. What if you built it up with raised walls, and devise a way to secure a stronger mesh/net over the top so in the event of excessive flooding you could attach it to keep fish in.
That would be too costly for me to do. But it would most likely work if water wasnt too high over the netting. Thanks for your ideals.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
That would be too costly for me to do. But it would most likely work if water wasnt too high over the netting. Thanks for your ideals.

I think the net could be the biggest part, or some kind of mesh screen. As for the height of the walls, tall enough to accommodate the mesh would be enough I would think. Or perhaps in ground pond, around which you anchor in cement 4x4s or even just hooks to attach the mesh/net too. How often do you get extreme flooding? I'll be honest tho, another reason I don't mind the frozen north, our list of natural disasters to contend with is pretty low.

Ask a Question