Yellow Butterfly Koi ID.

Reaction score
lucky you Larkin with a greenhouse. :)
Yes, try the chinese tupperware, with still waters.
Please report back to us with your findings...

Do you do orchids in the greenhouse? We love orchids,
and have three, we keep them in our sunny living room
window in the winter, and outside on the deck in the summer.
they bloom for months and months...they're just gorgeous.

We do some bonsai too...I lost last my prize bonsai ficus tree
last summer after twelve years, I'm still heartbroken about it. :(

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks so much Joann. I have the perfect spot to try the water lettuce.
Computer room has southern exposure and not too warm.
Does Cliff change the water out at all or just keep adding more?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I don't do orchids, tried them a few times and I just don't have the green thumb for them. I have one bonsai and It isn't doing that good either. My green house is only for storing plants through the winter. I don't keep any plants in it during the spring to fall growing season as it is small and packed full come winter. I have been working on a inside tub that will be heated this winter for housing some of the aquatic plants in. Thanks for the info on the water lettuce, I will give that a try this winter and see how that does.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our sun room probably will not work then, the sun room heats our house during the day, the heater does not run at all. A very warm spot. darn, oh well

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am surprised that the lettuce needs to be in a cool room, b/c it does so well in the warmer weather here than it did when it was cooler.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
no clue tmann, i may still try hyacinths, in a tub in the basement, ow just buy some more. They weren't too bad money wise. I have a few things I need to bring in and attempt to keep alive.

Reaction score
addy, what the heck...try it in the sunroom, just because my room is cool doesn't
mean it wouldn't do well in a warmer room. My other plants do equally well in the
warm sunny Living room and the cooler sunny guest bedroom. We have two zone heating
and the bedrooms are kept cooler.
I'll try one in both the bedroom and the living room this winter.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
addy, what the heck...try it in the sunroom, just because my room is cool doesn't
mean it wouldn't do well in a warmer room. My other plants do equally well in the
warm sunny Living room and the cooler sunny guest bedroom. We have two zone heating
and the bedrooms are kept cooler.
I'll try one in both the bedroom and the living room this winter.

What the heck I will, don't have water lettuce the two tiny plants i had I gave to somebody. but will try the hyacinths, never know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Hmm ... now that you are saying no moving water with the water lettuce, does everyone have water lettuce and hyacinths in the stiller parts of their ponds? I wonder if that is why mine did not do well, but the hyacinths in the bog (which is quite still) are doing better ... still not perfect, but not dying! I had the ring around my fountain, to keep all the floaters from getting into the skimmer, so maybe they did not like the water raining down on them all day! I did have a ring closer to the side of the pond, connected to a rock, but it was where the bog drained into the pond, so water moving there all the time, too. I have a bedroom I keep the heat vent closed on, but it faces east. I am going to try some in there. But, I have no idea where to find lettuce now ... will check at the landscape store, maybe they have a plant or two left. :) I may have to steal one out of their pond. LOL
Thanks, Joann for the ideas! All of our houses are going to be full of plants this winter. BTW, I have a small taro that now I think I will put in that bedroom, too. Also have a variety of elephant ear. Is that also a type of taro plant? They look similar, just size is much different. I know the elephant ear must come inside (garage was my plan), but if it can live in my house (where it's warm, west window or easy sliding glass door) or in the cooler bedroom (east window) I may keep it inside instead.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a aerator right below the hyacinths, tons of air bubbles all the time, they are green and growing well and blooming. The ones in the stream deal with moving water, not all of the time, but off and on. They are doing great also.

Your pond is new, you might not have enough fish poop for them to be real healthy. Mine have done better as the fry have grown.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Country my water lettuce and hyacinths do better in my waterfall creek, my veggie creek, and the long flowing creek. The ones in the pond do ok, but those are mostly from where I have had to thin out the creeks and I put the left overs in the big pond. One of my hyacinths are growing over the waterfall rock towards the big pond still connected to the others from up above. All mine do better with moving water of some sort and I also think it helps that they are cramped in their space pretty good, sitting shoulder to shoulder.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OK, thought I was on to something there. :) Yes, everyone said they were better off packed in an area, thus the floating rope ring I made for them. My waterfall and stream is not very long, but maybe next year will get several and try them in different places, see where they might grow the best. Most places are pretty much out of water plants by me, so may have to drive a little to find some to try to overwinter. There is a local lady that has a small pond, and a greenhouse, so maybe she will have a water lettuce to sell to me!

Ask a Question