Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Check out this article from USA TODAY:

Bees swarm, kill man cutting grass

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/06/09/bee-attack-death/28771365/

(I didn't know how to link this, so hope I did it right with a copy & paste.)

@Big Lou I thought of you with your past bee problem. So glad nothing like this happened -- what a sad, freak accident!

@addy1 At least the bees weren't the aggressive kind, and they were able to remove the hive without further incident.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Very, very sad. There was a similar incident near Waco before our massive Africanized bee situation. While Africanized bee colonies are deadly and must be destroyed Cathy and I are strong proponents of safe honey bee removal. Honey bees are a critical part of nature.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Very, very sad. There was a similar incident near Waco before our massive Africanized bee situation. While Africanized bee colonies are deadly and must be destroyed Cathy and I are strong proponents of safe honey bee removal. Honey bees are a critical part of nature.
Acctually Big Lou the most recent documentry Val and I caught on these killer bees is the more agressive queens are taken out and the experts are seeing a marked change in the behavour brought about by less agressive queens

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are far enough north the Africanized are not up in our area. But we do get an aggressive hive. Nothing like in the story. We did requeen to cool a hive off it worked great.
Other factors, storm coming, lack of nectar etc affect them

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
But if we did drop a hive,a frame of bees they would swarm us. We are always fully suited up working on them

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
On a more positive note, I heard on the radio last night that the province of Ontario is the first to take a step to slow down the destruction of honeybees! They will limit the acreage that can be planted with insecticide-treated corn (I think it was) to 80% of what it is now, by 2017. One small step for man, .....
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
A very sad story indeed:( We once had a family that attended our nursery school and the father was a well liked fire fighter. He was mowing the lawn and must have disturbed a hive, was swarmed and died from the attack. I don't think they were honey bees though.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A very sad story indeed:( We once had a family that attended our nursery school and the father was a well liked fire fighter. He was mowing the lawn and must have disturbed a hive, was swarmed and died from the attack. I don't think they were honey bees though.

How awful!

I used to work with a lady who was doing something like bush-hogging or plowing some land they owned. Her tractor encountered an underground hornet nest [I think it was hornets]. She was attacked and stung pretty severely, but fortunately, lived to tell about it. That was the first I knew that hornets [or whatever they were] built underground nests! WOW!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
How awful!

I used to work with a lady who was doing something like bush-hogging or plowing some land they owned. Her tractor encountered an underground hornet nest [I think it was hornets]. She was attacked and stung pretty severely, but fortunately, lived to tell about it. That was the first I knew that hornets [or whatever they were] built underground nests! WOW!

It was a terrible tragedy. He left behind two very young daughters (pre-schooler and toddler) and a wife. I guess the best thing to do, is exercise caution if we know about a hive ( call in a bee keeper to relocate it), but the scary thing is underground nests and ones we don't see!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It was a terrible tragedy. He left behind two very young daughters (pre-schooler and toddler) and a wife. I guess the best thing to do, is exercise caution if we know about a hive ( call in a bee keeper to relocate it), but the scary thing is underground nests and ones we don't see!
Yes, and be observant, as well. Keep an eye open for bee [wasp, etc.] comings & goings. The bees that killed the gentleman in this original story was a "hidden hive." I don't think he knew it was there. That's almost like @Big Lou's situation where the hive was inside his walls. But I don't think anyone, certainly not Lou, had any idea just how extensive that hive was.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bees will be above ground, wasps nest under ground, in rocks, I watch for any flying when I mow. They come out as a cloud first, if one stings the attack starts.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Hornets build huge nests in trees, attics, house eves and pretty sure other places.

image.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yellow jackets like ground nests, I have run into a few, luckily saw them before I really disturbed them. Skunks dig up their nests. Dumped a bucket of dirt on one large nest.

Ask a Question