A "Sky Bog"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Thank you.
I have no idea how many people I've shared the honeysuckle nectar secret with. With kids it's met with wonder, with adults it's skepticism, but when a good flower is found and tasted it's like a small treasure!
Speaking of childhoods and treasures, why is it the sweetest blackberries are always at the heart of the thicket? Does the pain endured to get them make them sweeter?
IKR? The blackberries grew wild in the woods behind my house, so we always had to battle the birds to get some juicy morsels and made sure we wore old clothes cuz nothing makes a mom madder then blackberry stains on a new shirt! My lab would chase rabbits into those "sticker bushes" and I would have to call him out before he could get hoplessly stuck! Early summer was the best time ever to go woods walking...rare any of those blackberries made it home, lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
If I could I would plant honeysuckle tomorrow but, sadly, the deer here would decimate it! /cry!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If I could I would plant honeysuckle tomorrow but, sadly, the deer here would decimate it! /cry!
That is one thing the deer ignore here. I have it ringing the yard, growing where it wants to , I do some kill off it ow it will take over the yard. Same with the blackberries they pop up everywhere.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
That is one thing the deer ignore here. I have it ringing the yard, growing where it wants to , I do some kill off it ow it will take over the yard. Same with the blackberries they pop up everywhere.

Maybe if it got really really big, they couldnt totally kill it, but that would require netting or fencing for years to come. The damn things are worse then goats here.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I react horrible to it. Almost needing steroids.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I react horrible to it. Almost needing steroids.
. When I was a kid, I used to get Poison Oak so badly, my mother brought me to the doctor. So this was the late 70's? Anyway, they had a series of shots that was supposed to make you immune for up to 5 years. Do you know, I never got it again! And I tramped through the same woods into my early 20's.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I should ask my doc about it, I was mowing, one little cut leaf bouncing in my lap made my legs swell up so much I could hardly walk. And you feel so sick from it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I should ask my doc about it, I was mowing, one little cut leaf bouncing in my lap made my legs swell up so much I could hardly walk. And you feel so sick from it.
Omg! You should! That sounds awful. I was never that bad but another kid I knew got it on his face and his eyes swoll shut. It was terrible. I think it scared my mom. Thats when I went in for the shots. Calamide lotion helps but the shots were way better. Let me know what you found out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I cant remember exactly but it was 5 or 7 shots, 1 a week. But I never got poison oak again. I thought for sure Id have to go back in 5 years, but I never did. I sure hope that treatment still works or works for adults.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Im so sorry Timothy, we hijacked your thread. But I am waiting with anticipation for your finished product. Looks like a very involved, expensive project and I will be thrilled to see the results!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Omg! You should! That sounds awful. I was never that bad but another kid I knew got it on his face and his eyes swoll shut. It was terrible. I think it scared my mom. Thats when I went in for the shots. Calamide lotion helps but the shots were way better. Let me know what you found out.
I was out in the snow, grooming digging, don't remember what, I felt a root scratch my back. Dead root, I got poison ivy from my shoulder blades down to hips. Dead of winter a dead root. I dug up some tulips at my dad's house right before our wedding, snow on the ground, got poison ivy from the roots in the ground under the snow. Went on a cruise with hands and arms covered with the stuff.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Im so sorry Timothy, we hijacked your thread. But I am waiting with anticipation for your finished product. Looks like a very involved, expensive project and I will be thrilled to see the results!
He is easy going and won't be mad! Right? Timothy? lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Calling your doc on monday I hope? Thats just crazy! Reminds me just a bit of my hubbys grandma. She could not work in the yard without getting eaten alive by bugs? Idk, never seen anything like it. We bought her a fitted bug net, head to sleeves that she could wear while out pulling weeds. It helped. In all the years of buying her gifts, that one was probably the best one.

Ask a Question