A "Sky Bog"

cas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I remember the first time I saw queen anne's lace when I was a kid. I was so taken with it that I picked some to take home to my mom. I was so amazed when my mom told me it was a weed. I think it has beautiful flowers.
I can't wait to see the plants take off in your sky bog.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I remember the first time I saw queen anne's lace when I was a kid. I was so taken with it that I picked some to take home to my mom. I was so amazed when my mom told me it was a weed. I think it has beautiful flowers. .................
Me too! Still do!:)

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Ironic how this works.
I was raised in the country and some of my fondest "mind's-eye" memories are walking or riding my bike down the dusty gravel road next to the old weathered gray fence posts that supported a single strand of rusty barbed wire. Between me and the fence was a shallow ditch about 3 or 4 feet wide that was home to a continuous bed of Queen Anne's Lace. It was considered a weed, but I thought it was one of the prettiest flowers ever. I have even transplanted QAL to our pond garden. When I discovered Yarrow I planted that in several places because to me it looked like multi colored QAL.
During the summer and early fall our garden is alive with humming birds, bees, birds, and all sorts of plants from the grand 9" Hibiscus, and Hollyhocks, to the lowly Yarrow that lines the path. I look forward to these times.
View attachment 90967 View attachment 90966
We started them in a wheel barrow with a pumpkin vine to keep them company, then moved them to several places in the garden.
Im glad you have fond memories of it. Lovely description of your memory! It reminds me of clover. When I was a kid, I loved white clover because the bees just swarmed it and although it wasnt smart to go barefoot in the summer, we did anyway and bee stings be damned, lol. Here, people want to rip it out of their grass. Some people consider honeysuckle a weed too but I loved it on our back fence and loved to pull the stamens out and suck that little drip of sweet nectar goodness off the end. Ahh, childhood in the country.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
............ Lovely description of your memory! ................... Some people consider honeysuckle a weed too but I loved it on our back fence and loved to pull the stamens out and suck that little drip of sweet nectar goodness off the end. Ahh, childhood in the country.
Thank you.
I have no idea how many people I've shared the honeysuckle nectar secret with. With kids it's met with wonder, with adults it's skepticism, but when a good flower is found and tasted it's like a small treasure!
Speaking of childhoods and treasures, why is it the sweetest blackberries are always at the heart of the thicket? Does the pain endured to get them make them sweeter?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We let clover, wild mustard, yarrow anything that blooms gets to bloom where it lands. My yard is not a groomed yard, perfect beds, but it works for me. The only think killed all of the time is poison ivy, when it is near the house. This rain we are having is making the weeds get darn big and healthy, vines and maple trees growing everywhere. I need to do some grooming.

We always pulled the honey suckle flower and tasted the nectar, a favorite kid thing to do. And I do it now to

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Thank you.
I have no idea how many people I've shared the honeysuckle nectar secret with. With kids it's met with wonder, with adults it's skepticism, but when a good flower is found and tasted it's like a small treasure!
Speaking of childhoods and treasures, why is it the sweetest blackberries are always at the heart of the thicket? Does the pain endured to get them make them sweeter?
IKR? The blackberries grew wild in the woods behind my house, so we always had to battle the birds to get some juicy morsels and made sure we wore old clothes cuz nothing makes a mom madder then blackberry stains on a new shirt! My lab would chase rabbits into those "sticker bushes" and I would have to call him out before he could get hoplessly stuck! Early summer was the best time ever to go woods walking...rare any of those blackberries made it home, lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
If I could I would plant honeysuckle tomorrow but, sadly, the deer here would decimate it! /cry!

addy1

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If I could I would plant honeysuckle tomorrow but, sadly, the deer here would decimate it! /cry!
That is one thing the deer ignore here. I have it ringing the yard, growing where it wants to , I do some kill off it ow it will take over the yard. Same with the blackberries they pop up everywhere.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
That is one thing the deer ignore here. I have it ringing the yard, growing where it wants to , I do some kill off it ow it will take over the yard. Same with the blackberries they pop up everywhere.

Maybe if it got really really big, they couldnt totally kill it, but that would require netting or fencing for years to come. The damn things are worse then goats here.

addy1

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I react horrible to it. Almost needing steroids.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I react horrible to it. Almost needing steroids.
. When I was a kid, I used to get Poison Oak so badly, my mother brought me to the doctor. So this was the late 70's? Anyway, they had a series of shots that was supposed to make you immune for up to 5 years. Do you know, I never got it again! And I tramped through the same woods into my early 20's.

addy1

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I should ask my doc about it, I was mowing, one little cut leaf bouncing in my lap made my legs swell up so much I could hardly walk. And you feel so sick from it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I should ask my doc about it, I was mowing, one little cut leaf bouncing in my lap made my legs swell up so much I could hardly walk. And you feel so sick from it.
Omg! You should! That sounds awful. I was never that bad but another kid I knew got it on his face and his eyes swoll shut. It was terrible. I think it scared my mom. Thats when I went in for the shots. Calamide lotion helps but the shots were way better. Let me know what you found out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I cant remember exactly but it was 5 or 7 shots, 1 a week. But I never got poison oak again. I thought for sure Id have to go back in 5 years, but I never did. I sure hope that treatment still works or works for adults.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Im so sorry Timothy, we hijacked your thread. But I am waiting with anticipation for your finished product. Looks like a very involved, expensive project and I will be thrilled to see the results!

addy1

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Omg! You should! That sounds awful. I was never that bad but another kid I knew got it on his face and his eyes swoll shut. It was terrible. I think it scared my mom. Thats when I went in for the shots. Calamide lotion helps but the shots were way better. Let me know what you found out.
I was out in the snow, grooming digging, don't remember what, I felt a root scratch my back. Dead root, I got poison ivy from my shoulder blades down to hips. Dead of winter a dead root. I dug up some tulips at my dad's house right before our wedding, snow on the ground, got poison ivy from the roots in the ground under the snow. Went on a cruise with hands and arms covered with the stuff.

addy1

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Im so sorry Timothy, we hijacked your thread. But I am waiting with anticipation for your finished product. Looks like a very involved, expensive project and I will be thrilled to see the results!
He is easy going and won't be mad! Right? Timothy? lol

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Calling your doc on monday I hope? Thats just crazy! Reminds me just a bit of my hubbys grandma. She could not work in the yard without getting eaten alive by bugs? Idk, never seen anything like it. We bought her a fitted bug net, head to sleeves that she could wear while out pulling weeds. It helped. In all the years of buying her gifts, that one was probably the best one.

Ask a Question