A total beginner; various questions

Reaction score
Diggin', that is a massive mud pond. And only proves my point that you will not get quality fish in a small setting. (And, yes, in nature, carp are river fish).

And you are right, Linc. We can only make recommendations/suggestions, and each pond keeper then needs to make a decision for themselves. Hopefully, not at the cost of the life of the fish.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone. I'm going to HAVE to stick with goldfish in the pond anyway for two reasons:

1) The pond wouldn't be big enough for koi, but perfect for goldfish.

2) I just found out koi are banned where I live. :cupidarr:

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
Asian carp are so bad here,we are spending millions of dollars to keep them out of the GREAT LAKE area

Reaction score
digginponds said:
Asian carp are so bad here,we are spending millions of dollars to keep them out of the GREAT LAKE area

yeah, I live in Queensland, Australia. Carp are apparently "the cane toads of the rivers"... and cane toads are a pretty well known pest of Queensland.

Reaction score
Yes, the US is suffering with an overpopulation of carp in many important lakes. The fish have actually been dangerous in that they will fling themselves into boats and hurt boaters. They are huge--over 3 feet in length. These asian carp are upsetting the natural biosphere of the lakes and upsetting the normal animal cycles that have existed. They are trying desperately to remove these fish.

Not sure why fisherman haven't taken on the task of bringing these critters in and putting 'em on the dinner table. On TV network they had one of those famous chefs who had come up with a slew of tasty looking recipes with the asian carp in mind. They looked good to me, and I would certainly buy carp if it were available at my local fish shop.

Of course, I certainly wouldn't eat my koi...LOL!

Reaction score
Gefilte Fish.

I'm not sure what type of carp where in this lake I used to fish near Princeton, NJ but they are not scared of humans and they realize that there is a line and hook. I had one right in front of me and was bouncing the baited hook in front of it and actually on it's head. I went to change bait thinking that was the problem. I dropped the old bait in and he gulpped it down. Put it back on the hook nothing. Threw him the bait with no hook or line and ate it. I know where they allow archers to bow fish carp is a target because of thier size and how they will stay still.

Reaction score
LOL! It would be perfect Gefilte for sure! LOL!

I bet they were carp! Did they look like a tan/bown big-a$$ed koi? If so, it was likely koi! They are plaguing the north waters.

Reaction score
There was some Koi colors I had seen, but the one I am talking about was all orange and maybe a little white but looked a little like a Koi, but mostly like a comet goldfish. A kind of Koimet???

Reaction score
That's probably a fish that someone released into the lake when it got too big. And, yes, there are "koimets." Coulda been a goldfish that someone put in there and then it bred with a carp and still retains the orange color. And in an open lake, these things can get HUGE.

Ask a Question