water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks @poconojoe
Should i go for layers of mixed media or stick with one only?
Your choice, i just used pea gravel, mine works fine, others have used rocks and pea gravel, others aqua blocks etc. They all work.

For a container bog like yours , if mine, I would just use pea gravel. I made a tiny bog for my hot tub pond, a planter that I actually filled with a layer of pea gravel then a layer of kitty litter. (I was out of gravel and too lazy to go and buy more) It has worked just fine. But some of the litter, if you have a good flow, tends to flow into the pond. I have a minimal flow so it stays in the pot.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks again.

Container will be delivered sometime next week so I'll be able to plan out if it'll fit.

One question is that I've seen a manifold created with a sort of drain exiting from top?? Is this something worthwhile doing?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thanks again.

Container will be delivered sometime next week so I'll be able to plan out if it'll fit.

One question is that I've seen a manifold created with a sort of drain exiting from top?? Is this something worthwhile doing?

Thanks.
I think you're referring to the clean out stack. If so, it's at the very end of the manifold pipe. It turns up vertically and ends just above the gravel. You have a screw cap on it to seal it. If your return water pressure greatly diminishes, indicating your manifold is getting clogged, you can unscrew the cap. Your pump will force any debris that may be clogging up your system out through the clean out stack. It's something that isn't used that often, but nice to have...just in case.

Oh, and strictly pea gravel or small river stone, especially considering the small size of your bog.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at 10mm pea gravel like this.

1595017600609.png

Ah clean out, makes sense.

Thank again.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly I do apologise for the frantic amount of questions asked but I need some opinions please.
Container has arrived today and looking at different locations I can place the large container albeit some issues with connectivity.

This option is original location but the pump sits directly below the container and wondering if any use being in same position?
Also need to see if i can feed in and out on same side due to no gap at rear without losing some support.

Excuse the apple growing face bombing the pics
DSC_2544.JPG
DSC_2545.JPG

Or alternative location is here where I can T off from connector to my current Eazypod.

DSC_2549.JPG
DSC_2550.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
So now that I see your gigantic filter and your water is indeed clear, I'm a little confused as to why you are looking into a bog. Are you planning to remove the big filter and replace it with a bog? Or, after reading one of your statements, are you just looking for somewhere to grow plants?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So now that I see your gigantic filter and your water is indeed clear, I'm a little confused as to why you are looking into a bog. Are you planning to remove the big filter and replace it with a bog? Or, after reading one of your statements, are you just looking for somewhere to grow plants?

Ideally want to grow plants and remove the current monstrous filter IF it can handle the load. it may be I can place the bog filter where the current filter is but not sure if adequate for the bio load. Bog filter will make the pond more natural looking but again, will it and can it cope.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You got to share all that info we can't read minds, only text.. If your wanting to get rid of the big filter i am sorry to say you'll need to get rid of the new bucket as well it is not big enough in my eyes to do the job alone. If it was my house and i have a tendency to build BIG i would temporarily move the filter and build a bog in that area. looks like you could make a 4'x 30" x a foot deep or more easily and with that size "done right your water should be crystal clear and trouble free little to no maintenance other then ripping plants out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Ideally want to grow plants and remove the current monstrous filter IF it can handle the load. it may be I can place the bog filter where the current filter is but not sure if adequate for the bio load. Bog filter will make the pond more natural looking but again, will it and can it cope.
Ah! OK. So, if you have a significant fish load, the bog surface area should be 30% of the surface of your pond. Measure your pond length X width and take 30% of that. You can achieve this by one bog or more than one if need be.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So my pond is 3m x 2m x 80cm deep.
One of these containers would only suffice 1/2 required amount?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
So my pond is 3m x 2m x 80cm deep.
One of these containers would only suffice 1/2 required amount?
It's all about surface area. Depth is not usually considered.
So...
3m X 2m=6 square meters Check my math, but I think 30% of 6m is 1.8m. So your bog surface area should be 1.8 square meters (if my percentage calculations are correct).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh well. Looks like this will be an additional filtration as no way can this one tub be able to cope with what I have now and in future.
Albeit more filers mean more filtration so even better for pond.

Just waiting on plumbing to be delivered and I'll start the process.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
In post #13 you show a container 73cm X 41cm. Is this the container you ended up using?

Your pond is 2m X 3m and the container for the bog is 73cm X 41cm.

To those mathematicians out there, please help with the conversion. I seem to always get that wrong! I'm coming up with some crazy numbers. My calculations can't be right.

The question is this:
Is that container's surface at least 30% of the pond's surface? I'm thinking no, it's just a fraction...but I could be wrong!

Worse scenario, run the new bog container for a few weeks, then turn off the gigantic filter for a while and see if the pond stays clear.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In post #13 you show a container 73cm X 41cm. Is this the container you ended up using?

Your pond is 2m X 3m and the container for the bog is 73cm X 41cm.

To those mathematicians out there, please help with the conversion. I seem to always get that wrong! I'm coming up with some crazy numbers. My calculations can't be right.

The question is this:
Is that container's surface at least 30% of the pond's surface?

Worse scenario, run the new bog container for a few weeks, then turn off the gigantic filter for a while and see if the pond stays clear.
I don't believe the 30% fits all sized ponds when you get smaller i believe you need more unless you trow a lotus in the bog and let it grow outside the pot.

Ask a Question