Adding a bog filter to raised pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't have much knowledge of lotus plants so please give me some names and I'll check if capable in my climate. Thanks.
Sorry i am not a lotus guy but all i can say is a local nursery here had a pathetic pond out front of his store and i do mean pathetic. That is untill about 5 years ago he placed a lotus in the water and it exploded. it literally took over the entire waterfowl mound and it grew everywhere BUT the water was now crystal clear and the fish were finally swimming around. is it a invasive plant hell yes but in a small tub thats the point. and you get the most beautiful flowers. You'll have to keep it under control but it shouldn't be that big a deal

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry trust me i can be very creative if you haven't seen my build click on the link below when you have a couple days to read it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry trust me i can be very creative if you haven't seen my build click on the link below when you have a couple days to read it.

My pond build is 12,000 Gallons three bogs, a Natural flow bog , a up flow pea stone Bog , and a up flow Snorkel and centipede with aquablocks bog . Three ponds and a 25 foot stream, with a 2500 gallon underground cistern https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/going-for-it-phase-one-12-000-gallon-pond.22563/

the area in blue above

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well after some hot sunny days and finally all the plumbing parts arrived, I have my bog filter setup and running. Using some spare solvent weld piping I had, constructed and glued in with slot cuts underneath.

DSC_2568.JPG

Took an afternoon to clean the 10mm gravel stones as covered in mud and silt. Added to container and fired up. Some sediment still present but not enough to do any harm.

Added some plant pots from pond to bog just to see how it'll look as well as ordering some additional pond plants I'll add to the bog.
The clean out pipe will be cut down to size as a tad too high so once spare part arrives, clean out screw on will be same level as where output water is.

The winner is I still have 5 fingers in each hand as I'm always a disaster when it comes to DIY :p

DSC_2570.JPG

DSC_2569.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well for someone who is generally not a dyi guy you did a great job.

i will add a little experience to the finish product if i may . That one pipe will get clogged at some point UNFORTUNATELY IT IS GOING TO HAPPEN . And the water has no where to go but to over flow. It doesn't have to be at the same height as the now exit pipe as it is to be an overflow releif pipe . just remember your going to have plants growing in there and they can easily clog a 1" pipe .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well for someone who is generally not a dyi guy you did a great job.

i will add a little experience to the finish product if i may . That one pipe will get clogged at some point UNFORTUNATELY IT IS GOING TO HAPPEN . And the water has no where to go but to over flow. It doesn't have to be at the same height as the now exit pipe as it is to be an overflow releif pipe . just remember your going to have plants growing in there and they can easily clog a 1" pipe .

Thanks for the advice.
Plan is to see when the output water drops and at that point I know to jump in and start pruning. Height of the container is a good 28cm and the slots bottom of pipe is just a few mm from the base so hoping roots of the plants I'll place in don't go deep but won't know until water pressure drops.

To jazz up the container, I have following small shrubs on order.

Cornus alba sibirica Dogwood
Marsh Marigold
Red Rush grass
Pruple Iris
Flowering rush

Hopefully it'll cover the top layer of the container and grow over.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Couple of weeks in and added plants to bog as well as how surprised I am to see water so clear :)
So far none of the string algae has returned let alone seeing any big clumps I usually remove using a short bamboo stick.

This bog business it defo working :)

DSC_2578.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Bogs rule!

Did you drill holes or cut slits in your manifold pipes? Just wondering. Either way is good. I couldn't tell from the picture. You must have faced them down. Some people face them down, some up. A matter of personal preference.

Glad to hear your water has cleared up!

You now have caught the bog bug!

If you find you are in need of more filtration, you can always add another container bog.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice! Love your container bog, and so happy your pond is clearing up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
it wont lived submerged for long. Then again he's on the other side of the pond a dogwood might mean the funnies from the news paper. Love there saying well some anyways

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bogs rule!

Did you drill holes or cut slits in your manifold pipes? Just wondering. Either way is good. I couldn't tell from the picture. You must have faced them down. Some people face them down, some up. A matter of personal preference.

Glad to hear your water has cleared up!

You now have caught the bog bug!

If you find you are in need of more filtration, you can always add another container bog.

Cut slots 4" apart and the end caps had large holes drilled in so sides get some output. Mines facing down mainly due to the few mm height connecting the pipes up.
Pretty impressed so far but waiting for maturing as well as long term use.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
it wont lived submerged for long. Then again he's on the other side of the pond a dogwood might mean the funnies from the news paper. Love there saying well some anyways

It could be another purchase where seller says anything for the sale but only cost me a few quid so hoping with the shallow water in bog, may survive. If I see it in trouble, will remove and plant in pot outside.

Ask a Question