addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have been darn busy. The bees have not stopped this year. Since Early February we have had to baby them a warm winter, brooded up to fast, non stop feeding to keep them alive until the nectar flowed, now we have a mean hive. Need to figure out which one and requeen it.

But enough about bees.

I planted lavender, behind the hives, here is a very short video, they did not allow me to be there long. All types of pollinators love it!

Some views of the wildflower gardens around the ponds.
IMG_1538.JPG
IMG_1540.JPG
IMG_1542.JPG
IMG_1557.JPG
IMG_1537.JPG
IMG_1552.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Interesting. Just changing out the queen will quiet the hive down? How 'mean' is it?
Out of the 15 hives in our back yard, one or two or all (most likely not all) are being aggressive. By that I mean if we are out on the deck, in the front yard, working on the pond, grooming plants, we end up with guard bees buzzing around our heads, then they come in for a sting, sometimes. My yorkie was on the deck just laying in the sun one flew up and stung her. She is allergic to them, we keep prednisone to throw down her throat the moment she is stung.

I was mowing, far from the hives, a few weeks ago. I had 5 sting me at once, never have had that happen before. Chin, neck, nose, head, back of neck.

We have had a aggressive issue since February. Been making excuses, early brood up, lack of nectar, etc. That sting to Missy did it. We are also tired of being chased in the yard.

When you re-queen the hives temperament will change. The queen drives it. Most of the queens we have now are home grown, i.e. the hives have, over time, replaced the original queen. One or two of those queens got some nasty genes from a drone they mated with. It will take some time, need to wait for the current workers to die off as they are replaced with the new ones.
Sometimes just putting in a new queen with new phenomes, will calm a hive.

We are waiting to pull the rest of the honey supers, which makes it easier to work the hives. Then we will do a test on each hive, the same day. Slight smoke, wait a few moments, then open the hive see if they come swarming out, if so = aggression. If not they get a good mark. Usually the bees just sort of watch you, they don't come swarming out to surround your face, or start hitting the veil trying to get in.

I have been stung this year more than any others.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United Kingdom
Life is funny! I remember being incredibly captivated by your garden and ponds when I was posting here a couple of years ago (and not a little bit jealous!), and now out of nowhere I find myself with a huge project like this on my hand... how exciting!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Life is funny! I remember being incredibly captivated by your garden and ponds when I was posting here a couple of years ago
Now I get to be captivated by your build! While sitting on butt! sort of

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
WOW @addy1 , your pond(s) are absolutely gorgeous! I was impressed by the "pond build thread" but the end result is even more impressive. I couldn't do the bees though as my wife is allergic and she would be dead in no time. :dead: :(

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I really need to update both threads, time just seems to fly.
WOW @addy1 , your pond(s) are absolutely gorgeous! I was impressed by the "pond build thread" but the end result is even more impressive. I couldn't do the bees though as my wife is allergic and she would be dead in no time. :dead: :(
Thanks, it was a lot of work, not sure I could do it again.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our hot tub broke last winter. We tried to fix it, but never could leaks just kept showing up in the lines. They did not leak if the motors were not running.

We finally went and bought a new tub. We do love our hot tub.

Dear hubby said hang onto it and make a hot tub pond. We had the company remove it from the deck and place it on the concrete patio. So it was added to the pond (conglomeration)

Removal from the deck.
IMG_1939.JPG

Tossed some water in it, a few lilies and let it sit until I had time to work on it.
dp1.JPG

Added more lilies, plants, 9 fish I hardly ever see, fantails.
IMG_2544.JPG

IMG_2550.JPG

IMG_2558.JPG

The lilies started blooming

The mayla beautifut bright red/pink the one next to it not sure what kind. But it opened later than the mayla and is still open at 5:19pm.
IMG_2557.JPG

The mayla closed the other still open
IMG_2566.JPG

IMG_2571.JPG

Water willow blooming beautifully
IMG_2555.JPG

Ask a Question