Aerator Size

Reaction score
I've been reading about methods for keeping a hole in the ice for winter and decided to go with an aerator. I live in Cleveland, OH. Winters get pretty cold here.

My pond is about 1500 gallons and 2 1/2 feet deep. I only have 3 Koi (testing the waters this year).

How large of an aerator do I need? I was looking at a 3.4 watt model that says it is good for a 750 gallon pond. I don't need it for year round aeration. I have a pump that circulates water spring through fall for that. This is just for the winter. Will it work?

Reaction score
that's more than enough to keep a small hole open if there is possibility of ice. You simply hang the air stone within the top 1/3 to 1/4 region of the pond so that the bottom 2/3's stays calm where the fish will hunker down and sit for the winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The only trouble with that is the air pump is pumping cold air into the pond.
I would go with something like a floating winter pond De-Icer.

Reaction score
That's true, but only into the upper region of the pond. The fish will stay down in the warm parts. I put my air stone into a far corner of the pond, too.

A de-icer, of course, is another perfect option. I'm too cheap to buy one since I already have an air pump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Don't believe that story, Almost all water garden and koi ponds aren't deep enough so have strata levels with different temps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I lied forget my last statement. I was thinking inversion.:frown::fish2:

migsly

Banned
Reaction score
I don't have an aerator. I run the hose through the pond now and then to keep if fresh. I have well water.

Reaction score
Winter stratification occurs because water acheives it maximum density at 39 degrees. Add too much circulation to the pond (particularly those >5 feet) and no stratification will occur.

As a layer of ice forms over the top of a pond, it actually acts as an insulator, which results in additional ice being formed to take longer and longer. If you add a heater to the bottom of the pond and heat it too warm (over 39 degrees), this will result in a turnover and the warm water will once again go to the top.

Reaction score
in the winter, you actually do want to maintain the stratification levels that exist. Because that lower level of dense water (which you normally don't want in the summer because it is oxygen poor), is nice and warm for the fish (and they require less o2 in winter). That's why in winter, you keep your air stone up high and not on the bottom--so you don't disturb that lower layer of warmer water.

Ask a Question