Algae progress - lots of pictures

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Beautiful pond and a very unique DIY bog setup I like it. Wish I could be of more help as I too am new. I will stand by an learn with you.
Thank you. My main goal of this thread is so others can learn with me.

Some believe a slow low flow is good for a bog and eating up of excess nutrients. I push a lot of water through and it works fine for me.

One other thought, how big is the input pipe? I have found I need double the size output to keep up with the input. A one inch input needs two one inch outputs to keep up.
I do see it happens mainly towards the end of the season. Are the output pipes above the gravel? I would guess they are.
Inlet pipe is 1", outlet is 2" and a 1.5", above gravel and with box in front of it to keep the gravel back (I know it's hard to explain/follow). BTW I had to shut it down a few days ago, blah. Redesign in the works.

Is the design such that the water can only flow out of the two pipes? Or could you create a series of outlets along the front edge?
I could add more pipes but with a great deal of work involving tearing up the decking and maybe moving some footers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I could add more pipes but with a great deal of work involving tearing up the decking and maybe moving some footers.

Hmmm... I was hoping that would be an easy fix!

Does the bog sit too far away from the pond to just let it flow over the side and back into the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hmmm... I was hoping that would be an easy fix!

Does the bog sit too far away from the pond to just let it flow over the side and back into the pond?
Easy would be great. :)

Yes, there is about 3.5ft of deck between the bog and pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
OK, so that's out! We don't need to be moving a deck!

So another radical idea - what about adding another bog?

In the meantime, do you have anything in your waterfall box for filtration? Any plants growing in it?

Ask a Question