alge overload

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem right now with string algae. My plants are just starting to grow. And I don't think the stores around here have hyacinths yet. Maybe in another week or 2, I hope.
Barley pellets work but they are expensive and don't seem to last too long. I put the barley in nylons. Maybe I'll try the kitty litter tonight.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I read that a bog would keep algae in check, I am now finding out it sure does. zero algae except some on the sides of the walls. No string algae. I do have kitty litter in the pond in pots for the plants, that might be helping also

Give it a try a cheap fix if it does work and jw says it does.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
kitty litter clay is bentonite or zeolite clay.. bentonite allows for some nutrient exchange and zeolite efficiently absorbs ammonia...but probably are a poor substitute for actual koi clay ....ive used tetraponds koi vital in lieu of koi clay for its fish and water health benefits. this time of year it helps to induce spawning as well.

http://www.macarthurwatergardens.com/Additives/tetrapond_koivital.html

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
koiguy1969 said:
kitty litter clay is bentonite or zeolite clay.. bentonite allows for some nutrient exchange and zeolite efficiently absorbs ammonia...but probably are a poor substitute for actual koi clay ....ive used tetraponds koi vital in lieu of koi clay for its fish and water health benefits. this time of year it helps to induce spawning as well.

http://www.macarthurwatergardens.com/Additives/tetrapond_koivital.html

Without having koi, my clay is mainly for the plants.

Reaction score
Great tip on putting litter for traction traction I will keep that in mind and also I can't wait to get into the whole cat litter scene lol, who would have thought it could be so useful!

Reaction score
Talal, once when we were going into Canada, the border guard walked around the car for a look, narrowed his eyes at us, and said, "You got a cat in there?" We were perplexed and said we didn't. He asked, "Then why do you have a bag of kitty litter in the car?" My husband explained that it was great for traction on ice, and the guard scowled and waved us through.

Reaction score
mr.spooky said:
thanks! i might give the litter a shot. does a UV light not kill this stuff?????
jason

no UV will not kill string algae, only the single cell that causes green water...the algae needs to pass by the light...string algae is attaced to rocks plants etc. so won't pass infront of the light
I've used koi clay and barley for years, I feel they are both good for algae prevenative and water clarity

Reaction score
i just added a nylon sock full of kitty liter to the pond, ill see if it makes a dent in the string algae, its starting to take over the whole pond, fingers crossed.

Reaction score
have read all replies - I have tied an onion (or other open net bag) bag round my pond pump filled with the nylon scrubbers from dollar store and water was clear as a bell in 3 days

Reaction score
every bag of cat litter that ive found has some kind of "oder nutrilizers" in them or they have some little green crystles in them... the search goes on...
spooky

Ask a Question