alge overload

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
mr spooky i dont think clay will sort out your problem ..barley straw would be better and more water movement to get the stuff thats on the bottom to your pump and out of the pond .,,when i had my other pond a bit like yours i found this stuff floating up when the weather got warmer i put in a few air stones to get the water moving more and my problem disappeared

you might like to read this p://www.simikoi.com/prod393.html

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Don't expect it to completely rid your pond of string algae or for it to work real fast. I use, barley bales, extract, kitty litter, and UV. I still get some string algae in my bog plants from time to time, as more plants grow the less string algae I see. My pond has a reduction of about 95% since I started using the above items. I don't mind a little as it looks natural and the fish and plants seem to be keeping the primarly pond clear of any now that it has slowed down in growth.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i get it mostly in my filter off the top media grate. very minimal amounts in the pond. mostly just thin strings off my lilly stems...i only use extract and not even all summer.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
That's about the same here, I've already turned off the UV for now. I use a product called Pond Care Power Packs It is a make up of barley and bacteria, I use two packs after I do a waterchange and back flush. Plus my Barley bales that have in a few places in the pond, ( I use three 1000 gallon size bales in three different spots in the pond) I started using the product just to help when I first started the pond back up after the rebuild. I've been so happy with the results that I continue using it. Cost about $2 a week to use it and it may or may not be doing all it says it is but the water stays crystal clear, the string algae I do have is usually found in very still spots in my bog area in between lily leaves and I may have to remove a small amount out every two to three weeks, LOTS better than hand fulls a day that I was removing before the rebuild.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
My koi use the string algae to spawn their eggs on. I just have to pull out the excess during this part of the year. If I had chemically removed it, they would not have had a place to deposit their eggs.
Right after the spawn, the timing is perfect because the water lettuce starts to thrive and the string algae goes away by itself. While that is happening, the fry have hiding places and a source of food.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just my bog running, no string algae at all or any algae except on the pond walls. Water a warm 68 today.

Reaction score
I'm so jelous, I wish my pond was as self sufficient as all of yours...I'm still beginning but I only wish that mine would stay clear like all of yours...I'm going to try the barley extract and the kitty litter together and see what will happen

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Takes time talal, you will get there. I am just lucky to have the room to build one and the desire to have one big bog as my filter. So far it is working great.

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how many people who have a pond at least a year old and do NOT use UV or additives (including bacteria) have a problem with string algae? If my pond really needs vacuuming I will see a little, but it disappears with vacuuming and water change. But I don't have any kind of algae problem. I know there is some algae in the pond, since when I have taken water out and put in in a container, algae grows.

I have a few plants in my pond and some more in the top of my little flowerpot filter. I do use clay in potting. I assume the goldies eat the algae if it grows in quantities big enough to bother with.

Reaction score
addy1 said:
Takes time talal, you will get there. I am just lucky to have the room to build one and the desire to have one big bog as my filter. So far it is working great.

thanks addy, i look forward to getting to that point though

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
shakaho, I only have my bog running, no problems with string algae.

Reaction score
im thinking about adding a bog to my pond too, it really helps from what i read so i think i might make one but probabley not nearly as big as addy's bog.

Reaction score
ok,,, im at a loss.... iv added catliter, uv light, water changes , and bio lift.. but i still have about 12" of clairity........ what next??????
spooky

Ask a Question