addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ponds have a natural way about them, working through the cycles needed.

Reaction score
recon ill just wait then... on a lighter note, all of our water tests are on spot!!:beerchug:
spooky

Reaction score
Im guessing this is a new pond, or at least a cleaned/refilled one? Im having the same issue after I cleaned mine, fortunately, not as bad as yours though, probably because I have a fair amount of plants.

If you know someone with a mature pond, ask him for floating oxygenating plants. In a mature pond they often grow so fast, owners have to weed them out and throw them away. Get some. If possible, a wheelbarrow full.

Reaction score
i have a small amount, but its like the alge has connected itself to the plants roots and are starving the plants. and yes , this is the firs year that the pond has been running.( about 4 mos now)
spooky

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Just time. Keep your numbers right, what are they now? What time of day do you measure? Time will resolve a lot of issues. Mine is gin clear, no UV. The carpet algae that will eventually grow on your walls does a lot of filtration for you. Just NEVER scrub the walls and floor, vacuuming and light sweeping is all I'd do. If you can keep mulm from building up on the bottom, it will really help. That's why aerated bottom drains are so awesome, they clean it all constantly.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
I never use UV, chemicals, pressure filters, bottom drains or skimmers.

I think most of us would have this luck if we lived in warmer climates and our plants lived all year round. I think I'm going to have this problem every spring because my plants are just starting to grow. I just put hyacinths in but you have to buy so many, and they are around $4 each.
What's your thought on this?

bsr8129 said:
Time. It sucks but sometimes that's what u need.

This is true. I was in your situation last year. I tried everything, and nothing worked. Everyone I talked to said have patience.(I don't have any LOL) Like said above, Your pond needs to cycle and mature with time.

BUT, I did use a chemical this year, Pond care aglaefix. I worked well, but I really don't like to use chemicals.

Reaction score
mikeinpgh said:
I think most of us would have this luck if we lived in warmer climates and our plants lived all year round.

Exactly. Im in the same boat. It also doesnt help that my pond is basically built in a forest, its surrounded by trees and high bushes from 3 sides, and as if that not bad enough, a downward slope towards the pond. Keeping my pond crystal clear is probably an impossible task, Ill just settle for a healthy pond and being able to see my fish.

Reaction score
How was your ML stored? Microbial products need to be sealed and stored out of direct sunlight and high temperatures. I've rarely had customers complain of excessive algae that did not in some way mishandle the product, use it after the expire date, not consider a parameter or two, or under-treat. Thus leading to my next bit.

Did you recently do water exchange? Are you in a rural area with excessive fertilization going on around you? Any other sources of nutrient loading going on you may have overlooked? How's your fish stocking density? Ammonia levels? pH levels? NO2/NO3/phosphorus/alkalinity/hardness/NH3/NH4 (not that I expect ponders to be able to measure those .... but if you can, do it).

What I'm getting at: You may need to have ML customize your application rate to alleviate those changes and conditions.

I've rarely had clients with string algae issues after proper application once considering all pond parameters into a custom treatment. Next to odor, it's the easiest and quickest thing we treat. And... once you get past it, you can generally go back to a maintenance dose. Let me know if I can help you further. Have a great weekend!

Reaction score
the microbe lift was in a pond shop, it probabaly wasent in direct sunlight,, but it wasent in a closet eigther.
i did do a water change, but we were treating it for a while before the change. we live in the city so there aint alotta excessive fertilization going on.
the amonia and PH are where they should be and we only have 5 - 9" to 12" fish. (and a few 2" babys.
should i try to double up on the microbe lift???
thanks
spooky

Reaction score
I would advise contacting their technical team. Something isn't happening that needs to happen, and they will know what works best for treating with their product. If for some reason they don't offer support, let me know and perhaps we can get deeper into it. I don't want to give advice on a product I am not all that familiar with, but I would like to help.

Cheers
Bruce

Ask a Question