6b
Country
United States
upload_2017-6-20_11-22-30.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
From Amazon: The ingredient list is 50%-60% Choice Sphagnum Peat Moss, Composted Pine Bark, Pasteurized Poultry Litter, an Organic Wetting Agent, Polymers.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
From Amazon: The ingredient list is 50%-60% Choice Sphagnum Peat Moss, Composted Pine Bark, Pasteurized Poultry Litter, an Organic Wetting Agent, Polymers.
The poultry litter listed is chicken poop - high in phosphorus and nitrogen. Chicken litter has also been shown to contain "copper, arsenic, lead and (trace) amounts of cadmium, mercury, selenium, ...mold inhibitors and hormones." The information I've paraphrased is from the state of Georgia environmental firm Greenlaw (greenlaw.org). For this and other reasons, the organization contends "poultry litter leachate... to be more toxic than other types of animal manure." I've also heard rumor of fish farms experimenting with poultry waste as a fish food additive, with dubious results - but can find no studies supporting this.

Perhaps the fish were attracted to the taste of this poultry litter additive in the potting soil and consuming it led to their demise. My condolences, by the way, @Nyboy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Thank you all I can say is from now on any plant going into pond will be planted in plain kitty litter. @Troutredds That is the cutest beagle puppy !!!!!!!!
plants without pot are more productive in the pond , there roots will grow spread more and catch debris filter water and take nutirions directly from flowing water , the fish may eat living org and other stuff from it and plant will grow more . only need is anchoring them with stones or gravel , no soil or pot needed .
only water lily may need a pot

Ask a Question