All Fish Dead Today

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
LOL there where 2 or 3 dollar stores here, but they all went out of business. The rents in this part of NY are insane. Parking garage for walmart is 6 floors many times have have to follow people leaving to get a parking space.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
LOL there where 2 or 3 dollar stores here, but they all went out of business. The rents in this part of NY are insane. Parking garage for walmart is 6 floors many times have have to follow people leaving to get a parking space.
Wow and I thought my walmart was a nightmare. So sorry about your fish. Thanks for posting all the info on the hydrogel additives. Would have never thought about it. It seems to make sense. Best of luck in getting your pond well again. Please post what steps u take.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
OK - now take a sip and report back tomorrow... if you can that is. haha! You're right - as my scientist son always says "correlation does not imply causation" or something like that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Was up at weekend house, dollar general had plain clay kitty litter. I stopped at nursery that had water plant section and went a little crazy. Should I leave plants in their pots or repot with kitty litter? I am thinking these plants where meant to go in pond so planting material should be fish safe. None of the labels had hardness zones some are just marked hardy. I would like to plant some at country house zone 5, Is there a list that gives plants hardy zone ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@sissy ir right, clean the plants ( you can look on line for various methods ) then plant in the clay kitty litter :) You can also push pond fertilizer tabs down into the kitty litter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
And depending on where you put them in your pond you may not even need the pot. I have all my marginals growing directly in the pond - no pots. The only pots left are the water lilies - and that's just because I don't trust them!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Organic simply means there's no unnatural additive and fertilizer. The "water control" has me scared, it's probably high in peat which is acidic. Nitrogen could also be a factor.

Potting soil isn't pond safe. It doesn't stay in place because it's full of additive to make it light and fluffy and retain mosture. In a pond, there's no need for any moisture control. Stick to plain kitty litter, heavy clay soil, or pea gravel (rinse it first).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The "water control" has me scared

It's actually a moisture holding polymer that is way scary. I remember years ago they used a similar product in diapers. They found that the diaper could actually pull moisture out of the baby's skin. But they held GALLONS of liquid!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have some of my plants just growing in the window screen pockets no kitty litter .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
I have some of my plants just growing in the window screen pockets no kitty litter .
I've put all of mine in clay, but most have pushed all of it out of the pots. I had cattails that had escaped their pots and the roots completely engulf 6 inch rocks; I had to cut the roots apart with a pruning saw.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It's actually a moisture holding polymer that is way scary. I remember years ago they used a similar product in diapers. They found that the diaper could actually pull moisture out of the baby's skin. But they held GALLONS of liquid!
I wouldn't think a "moisture holding polymer" could be organic certified - which is what the OP stated he used.

Ask a Question